Model Diesel: 32mm bore, 38mm stroke, indirect injection

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laping or scraping may be a bit extreme, but some fine abrasive paper/cloth fixed to a flat surface may be sufficient. This also has the advantage that if you are not so good with the figure of eight action the surface will tend towards convex which will help the sealing.
I guess you would have to remove the valves to work on the head and drain the oil to invert the cylinder block.
Indeed, I have in the past done this sort of thing by putting wet and dry sandpaper on the surface plate.

Worth testing surfaces with a surface plate, or other flat plate (gauge plate) and Engineers' blue. It may sound "old fashioned", but it was how we checked for flatness or high spots in the 1960s workshop. - I guess today you have a laser thingummy or something.... but if old methods work, why not use them?
Have you tried a steel rule across the surface? (Use a light source and look for light bleed beneath). Or roll an old car piston gudgeon pin (or other ground steel parallel pin), with marking blue on it, across the surface? - 2 directions, perpendicular....
Sounds to me as if the milling was not as flat as you need?
K2

A grooved or ridged copper gasket has gotten me out of some bad situations. The grooves or ridges can be on the gasket or the mating surface(s).

Have you tried tightening up the lash on the exhaust valve a little to keep the pressure from getting high enough in the cylinder to push the fuel back into the injector? I am half way expecting this same scenario in my engine.

IMG_20240627_122453238.jpg

Worth testing surfaces with a surface plate, or other flat plate (gauge plate) and Engineers' blue. It may sound "old fashioned", but it was how we checked for flatness or high spots in the 1960s workshop. - I guess today you have a laser thingummy or something.... but if old methods work, why not use them?
Have you tried a steel rule across the surface? (Use a light source and look for light bleed beneath). Or roll an old car piston gudgeon pin (or other ground steel parallel pin), with marking blue on it, across the surface? - 2 directions, perpendicular....
Sounds to me as if the milling was not as flat as you need?
K2
I'll give it a check with some engineers blue.

Today I blued up my scraping master and checked the head and block top.IMG_20240630_122741194.jpgIMG_20240630_122729206.jpg
The head isn't too bad for a milled part, but the top of the liner has two low spots that correspond pretty closely to where I've been having leaks. Also there's no contact on the prechamber cup, so it could be forming another leak path. It should be easy enough to sand both surfaces, the question is whether I should wait and try a more conformable gasket first.

Today I blued up my scraping master and checked the head and block top.View attachment 157800View attachment 157801
The head isn't too bad for a milled part, but the top of the liner has two low spots that correspond pretty closely to where I've been having leaks. Also there's no contact on the prechamber cup, so it could be forming another leak path. It should be easy enough to sand both surfaces, the question is whether I should wait and try a more conformable gasket first.
Do you have a good, flat surface plate you put a sheet of abrasive on and flatten the surface?

Latest posts

Back