Mastiff lc mason engine REDO .

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All !
An update :
I did some tests with the float
It floats quite well in water , but not with gasoline - something everyone probably knows - Although testing with gasoline does not have the weight of the check valve

View attachment 157586

I reduced the weight of the float and tested again with a weight of the check valve : all of them float quite well in gasoline

View attachment 157587
View attachment 157588

Next step : I will design a carburetor according to the test and when machining the float I will make it lighter
Due the gasoline has low density than water. Water density 1g/cm³ versus gasoline density 0,6 g/cm³ hence the float will be lower in gasoline than in water.

Use this drawing of the float with the valve in the lower part (float needle with cone valve in lower part) to be closed by the buoyancy and cannot be opened by the fuel pressure as long as the chamber is at the correct level and stays closed without the influence of the fuel pressure. If the gasoline level is in low level, the weight of the float ensures that the valve opens so that gasoline enters the chamber and fills up before the float closes at the correct level. The gasoline level in the chamber is easy to adjust the valve by pushing in/out of the cork so you can see that it does not flow out of the spray bar in case the gasoline level is too high. The correct level of the gasoline is some millimetre below the spray bar.

It is much easier than you thought that the valve is set up on the float to shut off gasoline by buoyancy and can open with ease from the gasoline pressure.

The air in microcells of cork makes up 90% of the volume and about 50% of the weight, so its specific gravity varies between 0.19 to 0.25 g/cm³. It is therefore five times lighter than water 1 g/cm³ and does not present a problem in obtaining good buoyancy in gasoline which has a density of 0.6 g/cm³, and as it does not absorb water, it is almost impossible to sink.
Cork is chemically neutral. The structure is not only impermeable to liquids and gases, but also chemically does not react with them, ensuring its durability. Cork has resistance to liquids and gases. This characteristic is a result of the high content of suberin in Cork, 39-45% by weight. This cork has impregnation properties.

Why make it complicated that doesn't work well when it's easier to use cork as float? :)

flottør.jpg

Why make it complicated that doesn't work well when it's easier to use cork as float? :)

Simple:
Because I don't like cork.

Hi All !
An update :
Continue testing the float...After some testing with the float...
I have finished designing the carburetor
Size - approx : height 37mm, length 37mm, width 27mm
If everything goes well, it will be the standard carburetor for all my engines

Assembly AA.jpg

Latest posts

Back