Can you remove anodizing color from aluminum?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thimpfks it is used in making gun cotton
And RDX and trinitrotoulene and nitromethane and nitroglycerin and... lots. It's easy enough to distill that having controlled %'s is just PR.

I've dumped nitrate salts into hardware store HCl to etch metals. Dump nitrate salts into sulfuric acid and you can nitrate organics.

It's all very silly.

And RDX and trinitrotoulene and nitromethane and nitroglycerin and... lots. It's easy enough to distill that having controlled %'s is just PR.

I've dumped nitrate salts into hardware store HCl to etch metals. Dump nitrate salts into sulfuric acid and you can nitrate organics.

It's all very silly.
Well, the government doesn't want to make it too easy for the crazies.

Depends on where you live. In many places it is regulated above a certain %.

Your friendly neighborhood hydroponic shop probably carries it in the 10%-15% range as "pH down". Thats where I bought it, in my youth, to give HCl some kick when analyzing samples of stainless steel I made from raw oxides.

Re mirrors; Silver Nitrate is usually easy to get. Last time I bought some was either from Amazon or Ebay. I forget which.
You can purchase from this links
https://www.lgcstandards.com/CA/en/search?text=nitric acid

Huh! I likes the color. Can you maybe give it a light sanding? I know that coating is REALLY tough, but maybe just paint over it.
The Department of the Treasury (my better and smarter half, the wife) agrees with you Richard. But I still may try and powder coat it after I finish my home made Frankenstein powder coat oven. 😬

wce4
I have done a bit of anodizing and can confirm that the Sodium Hydroxide ( Lye ) will remove the coating. It will do it fairly quickly. 10-15 min. It may not leach out the color but will remove the Aluminum Oxide coating. Which by the way is non-conductive. Before you try powder coating I would check with a multi meter or test light that all surfaces you want powder to stick to are conductive, if not it will not take the powder coat.

I hope that helps some.

Scott

Guys
Just be aware that the metal surface does not need to be conductive - it's an electrostatic process! You do however need to make electrical contact with the base metal with the electrode.

Latest posts

Back