Bought me a Monster!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I went over to BusyBee Tools yesterday to see about buying some more 1-2-3 blocks and PERHAPS a set of small broaches. Both were on sale, and although severely backordered were available for the sale price as long as I purchased them NOW. I then decided that a set of broaches wouldn't be much good without an arbor press. Turns out the arbor presses were on sale too, and they were in stock. So, as the thread title reads, I bought this little monster. Its supposedly 2 ton with a 7.5" throat opening. I know its damned heavy----Nearly busted a gut getting it from the back of my truck into the garage and onto the bench where it is currently resting. I have yet to bolt it down, (especially after watching Tubal Cains very poorly conceived video where he demonstrates how to broach with a very wobbly unbolted arbor press.) I will sort that out later this weekend. So----If you have any walnuts you want cracked, come on over.
ARBORPRESS001.jpg

I don't think it is big enough for broaching. The smallest readily available broach is 1/16" and they are 5" long, so you would be restricted to a workpiece under 1/2" thick.

Stan--I asked at BusyBee about how long their broaches were, and as is typical, they had no idea. The saving grace of course, is that depth from the top of the platen to the underside of the cast housing and ram is REALLY 7 1/2" and the platen is 1" thick. I have no idea where Busy Bee gets 5" out of any of that. The small hubs I use on my model engines are rarely longer than 3/4", so I will probably be okay.---Brian The listings are a bit confusing----I have posted the link below. EDIT EDIT--my bad---The 5" is the throat depth between the ram and the cast column. I was reading things incorrectly.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/ARBOR-PRESS-2-TON.html

Don't forget the first inch or so of the broach can be inserted into the work/bush before the teeth engage so a 5" long broach will need around 4" above the work.

J

Check out Tubal Cain broaching a keyway with an unbolted arbor press. What was he thinking?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tAz5YDFtAs[/ame]

In addition to the first inch or so of the broach that just slides in without a press, you can easly get another half inch of clearance if need be by lightly tapping the broach in with a piece of wood. Not having a press, I have been using my milling vise as a press, in which the jaws don't even open as wide as the broaches are long. To do so, I simply remove one of the bolts that holds the removable jaws in place, and drive the broach into the bolt hole. I have to do it in stages, inserting a socket or two along the way, as the bolt hole is only a couple inches deep. For broaching thick or large diameter items, I press the broach between the back of the movable vise jaw and an angle plate bolted to the milling table.

So, I'm guessing with a little imagination, your new press ought to be fine in almost any reasonable broaching situations.

Robin

Brian Rupnow said:
Check out Tubal Cain broaching a keyway with an unbolted arbor press. What was he thinking?

Well He's not the real Tubal Cain seeing a she dies in 1998, just someone who thinks he is.

Brian, I have an arbor press similar to yours, except it's only a 1 ton. One thing to consider when you are mounting it is to leave the space under arbor open to the floor if you can. I frequently have a need to press things into pieces which have a flange but are too long to fit under the arbor.

Chuck

cfellows said:
Brian, I have an arbor press similar to yours, except it's only a 1 ton. One thing to consider when you are mounting it is to leave the space under arbor open to the floor if you can. I frequently have a need to press things into pieces which have a flange but are too long to fit under the arbor.

Just like ensuring, when you mount a vise to the bench, that the fixed jaw projects over the edge of the bench so you can clamp long work. Surprisingly, I didn't have to learn that one the hard way.

Good advice gentlemen, and well taken. And Marv, I know what you mean about the vice----By good fortune, rather than good mamagement I can swivel my swivel base vice into one position where have a clear shot to the floor.

Chuck brings up a good point because you need the length of the broach under the work piece when you press it through. To keep the press as stable as possible, I mounted the base at the front of a bench and then cut a slot out of the bench edge in line with the arbor.

mklotz said:
Just like ensuring, when you mount a vise to the bench, that the fixed jaw projects over the edge of the bench so you can clamp long work. Surprisingly, I didn't have to learn that one the hard way.

Very true but I can never understand why some folk have orgasms and pay stupid prices for those Leinen vises where the front jaw is fixed and the moveable rear jaw disappears over the back of the bench.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5wWCRiDh-0[/ame]

Got one on the floor here and some guy keeps offering silly money for it but stuff it I don't like the guy :p it can stay there.

John S.

that is on my want list, was hoping to find one at a yard sale or Pawn shop, was in a Pawn Shop the other day they had a junk bin it listed .25 cents for all items, price was right walked over and looked in and saw a metal box, picked it up real heavy, open the lid and it was a set of Broaches, one of the worker come by I asked .25 cents course I closed the lid, he said yes, gave him a dollar and walked out, these do not have a collar like the ones on that video, just used them tonight, press a key way five inches long, that is a cool tool, I will post a pic of them, they might be old but work great Lathe Nut

lathe nut said:
that is on my want list, was hoping to find one at a yard sale or Pawn shop, was in a Pawn Shop the other day they had a junk bin it listed .25 cents for all items, price was right walked over and look in and saw a metal box, picked it up real heavy, open the lid and it was a set of Broaches, one of the worker come by I asked .25 cents course I closed the lid, he said yes, gave him a dollar and walked out, these do not have a collar like the ones on that video, just used them tonight, press a key way five inches long, that is a cool tool, I will post a pic of them, they might be old but work great Lathe Nut

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was in a pawn shop in San Diego a few years back with a friend he saw it first a veritas Optical Center Punch the guy in the shop had no ideal what it was, my friend walked 10$ lighter and happy
Dave

Jasonb said:
Well He's not the real Tubal Cain seeing a she dies in 1998, just someone who thinks he is.

LOL, considering Tubal Cain is a character from the Hebrew bible and was a close descendant of Cain from Genisis... "The real" Tubal Cain died a lot earlier than that.

He is kind of the inventer and master of metalworking.

I wasn't in the hobby when the other TubalCain was around, but I actually liked Tubal Cain (Current) YouTube video's.

John: You are seriously messed up. You don't sell stuff that doesn't work to you friends. You sell it to the guys you don't like, at a silly price.

Back