3D printed steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you 3D printed a steam engine. This came to mind when I was working on the internal gear for Elmer's Geared Steam Engine and it was suggested that the entire engine could be 3D printed. Is this possible to make a working model of this engine? I would assume that some things like the axle and slide valve and perhaps the piston would be made from steel I would think that the cylinder would be the most difficult to make. I would think that some things would be finished by reaming. Any pointers or cautions? Material/PLA?

I printed this one a while back and it worked out pretty well. I didn’t worry about making things super sealed, it is happy when things are nice and loose and runs on low pressure just fine . I thought I might build one from metal someday. There are lots of others to choose from I’m sure.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2492963
IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg

Last edited:
I made this printed steam engine after I graduated college. Carrying it around the job fair is what got me my first engineering job. Alas, I can't seem to find the original cad model, otherwise I'd release it!

3d printed steam engine

I also built this engine, which uses printed parts, and I did actually run on live steam for a minute or two! (why I didn't get video of it is a great mystery) I used industrial pneumatic cylinder and valve, and the printed part that attaches to the cylinder was printed in nylon for temperature resistance. (the chinese air valves don't have a bunch of plastic parts in them like SMC and other name brand valves. They're all aluminum with viton o-rings.)

3d printed steam engine 2

I would have gone farther with this method of construction, but I now have a big CNC machine that I'm free to make things on at work. However, I do think that someone could definitely make a real steam engine using industrial pneumatic cylinders and valves that could handle live steam. Between that and a hardware store / arduino monotube, I firmly believe that a motivated individual could totally build a steam setup without a mill/lathe.

Also, while developing my current steam engine, I printed the frame and valve gear components to make sure it worked (on air) before machining. In fact, I did have a few printed parts on the first few live steam tests that I thought would be fine, but ended up melting when the aluminum conducted heat farther than I expected.

3d printing has come a long way. Now there are high temp materials like nylon and even PEEK.

I was not planning on running it on steam. I think that I will try it and see how things work out. I am a retired old fart and I do not have to make money on my projects and I don't have to answer to anyone else. Well other than my wife if I come back in the house before 3:30.

Have any of you 3D printed a steam engine. This came to mind when I was working on the internal gear for Elmer's Geared Steam Engine and it was suggested that the entire engine could be 3D printed. Is this possible to make a working model of this engine? I would assume that some things like the axle and slide valve and perhaps the piston would be made from steel I would think that the cylinder would be the most difficult to make. I would think that some things would be finished by reaming. Any pointers or cautions? Material/PLA?
Gordon,
I attached a video of my PETG double acting engine on the Elmer’s gear thread, perhaps you didn’t see it? It is 100% printed with the exception of some stainless steel fasteners. Post processing included honing and fine sanding of sliding/moving parts, including the valve, cylinder/piston, and crank bearing surface. I downloaded the STLs from Thingiverse, and I can send along a link if you’re interested.

Anyway, here’s the video again,
John W

Attachments

• IMG_6949.mov
    36.6 MB
Gordon,
I attached a video of my PETG double acting engine on the Elmer’s gear thread, perhaps you didn’t see it? It is 100% printed with the exception of some stainless steel fasteners. Post processing included honing and fine sanding of sliding/moving parts, including the valve, cylinder/piston, and crank bearing surface. I downloaded the STLs from Thingiverse, and I can send along a link if you’re interested.

John W
Yes I did see it. I looked on Thingaverse and there are quite a few 3D printed steam engines. Some are too simple for my taste and some are too complex for my printer. At this point I am in the process of printing the internal gear just to see how it turns out. If that turns out I will think about printing the whole geared engine with the 3D printer. Thanks.

If I make it with the 3D printer it will probably end up a hybrid with some metal parts like the crank shaft axle and the piston and some plastic parts.

Yes I did see it. I looked on Thingaverse and there are quite a few 3D printed steam engines. Some are too simple for my taste and some are too complex for my printer. At this point I am in the process of printing the internal gear just to see how it turns out. If that turns out I will think about printing the whole geared engine with the 3D printer. Thanks.

If I make it with the 3D printer it will probably end up a hybrid with some metal parts like the crank shaft axle and the piston and some plastic parts.
Perhaps we can collaborate on some of the printed parts for the geared engine, or maybe a group project?

Gordon,

John W
Yes. Send the link I would at least like to take a look at it. I could print it since you have proven that it works OK.

Here’s a link to the 3d engine I printed. All thanks to the original poster!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4322206

A bit of post processing to ensure a decent seal in the valve, piston, cross head, and (lack of?) stuffing box, as well as free rotation of those parts.

I used a tiny bit of olive oil as a lubricant in the cylinder, valve, and crank bearing(?).

Printed in PETG ‘cuz I live in Arizona where it’s HOT!!!

John W

Back