36x60x54 Twin Tandem Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that’s good advise JasonB. Very sad for that guy that you mentioned. I know a few of my dad’s friends that retired only to be gone a few months later.

I tend to get super motivated for a project so putting it off is not an option. If I start something, it is the only thing I want to do in my spare time.

I was checking to see what drawings I have of the starting engine. Bethlehem steel prints can be pretty convoluted sometimes. They are set up as tracings as the original, with Bethlehem drawing numbers. I do not think the starting engine was made by Southwark because the only reference I have is a pinion gear. None of the Southwark drawings have it. Likely if it was made by a different company, it would have not been in this drawing set. I went through the archive but haven’t turned up anything. Unfortunately not all drawings were transferred into the archive, especially if they were obviously obsolete when they were scanned.

I think I will start with the HP cylinder. It had the smallest valve and cross drills. If the valve stems and eccentric scale down okay to whatever scale I take it to, i am thinking it should work.

More to come shortly!

You can get all the parts in an assembly to move easy enough in alibre.

Jason, may I ask which version of Alibre you use? I'm asking as I have a paid version of Fusion 360 now and I may want to switch when my subscription expires. I've looked through the version descriptions and I THINK I need at least Design Pro vs Atom to have something close to the functionality I have with Fusion. I'm thinking of changing mostly due to the pricing. Any advise you could give on this is most appreciated! Mike

I use Pro as it has a few things that I tend to use like Draft for patterns. Atom should allow you do move an assembly around like that too. You don't get the ability to have say timing gears running 2:1 in atom but you can in pro.

You can download the Atom or pro trial and have a play for a few weeks to see how you like it.

I use Pro as it has a few things that I tend to use like Draft for patterns. Atom should allow you do move an assembly around like that too. You don't get the ability to have say timing gears running 2:1 in atom but you can in pro.

You can download the Atom or pro trial and have a play for a few weeks to see how you like it.
Jason, thanks. What about holes and threads? Those are features I use in Fusion quite a lot and that gives you hole call-outs on the drawings, plus ordinate dimensions on drawings. Do you have to have Pro to do these functions? Also thanks for your suggestion of doing the trials. I'll download and try them out. Mike.

Pro is needed to automatically add hole call outs and to show then as threaded on a 2D drawing. You have the option of the double lines or can have simulated threads, full library of threads to choose from. It will also show a hole with the conical end left by a drill. Though as a lot of mine is just for me I tend to do most holes as sketched circles and then cut-extrude them.

Not sure if Atom has Ordinate, Pro does

There is an Alibre forum if you want to ask anything there. Also one of the Alibre tech help guys will answer on Model Engineer Forum, just make sure you put Alibre into the title of the thread so he sees it. He runs Atom and Pro on his machine so can usually tell you what does what quite quickly.

Pro is needed to automatically add hole call outs and to show then as threaded on a 2D drawing. You have the option of the double lines or can have simulated threads, full library of threads to choose from. It will also show a hole with the conical end left by a drill. Though as a lot of mine is just for me I tend to do most holes as sketched circles and then cut-extrude them.

Not sure if Atom has Ordinate, Pro does

There is an Alibre forum if you want to ask anything there. Also one of the Alibre tech help guys will answer on Model Engineer Forum, just make sure you put Alibre into the title of the thread so he sees it. He runs Atom and Pro on his machine so can usually tell you what does what quite quickly.
Jason, again thanks for the info! I'll check out the Alibre forms and will try our both using the trail versions. Mike

Latest posts

Back