1/5th Scale Denny Improved Ericsson

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Another notch on the workshop wall, this time a 1/5th scale model of a Denny Improved Ericsson hot air pumping engine. I drew it up from the original patent drawings and images of full size ones found on the net. The bre is 40mm and the flywheel 145mm dia. There is a mix of steel fabrications and parts cut from solid, no castings were used although I did cut the flywheel from a slice of 150mm dia cast iron bar.

There is a small camping gas stove's burner mounted at the bottom of the furnace which provides the heat source

20240917_103655.jpg

20240917_103718.jpg

20240917_103646.jpg

20240917_103629.jpg

It's knocking a bit as I removed the pump's piston so I could blow air into it for cooling therfore the rod is not being guided that smoothly but otherwise not running too badly.

Jason-
Really nice build, and great color scheme.

I highly encourage the model engine folks to learn the method JasonB uses, ie: find old patent drawings, photos of original engines, etc., create an accurate 3D model, and then build an engine.
Putting the design into a 3D model gives a lot of options, such as CNC'ing parts or patterns, and 3D printing patterns to allow castings to be made.

I like the entire approach, and I think it is the way of the future.

Thanks Pat, the pumpkin orange seems to be the works colour, some had the flywheel in the same orange others with the dull red. I was tempted to do another distressed paint job on this one like I did with the Heinrici but in the end just add a coat of clear matt over the colours as I felt the gloss was a bit too flashy.

Yes CAD and in particular 3D CAD seems to be the gateway to all the modern tech which you need a reasonable grasp of if you are to make use of it all.

8inch denny.jpg

Latest posts

Back