Winter build. Atom Minor MK III

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got quite a few long term builds on the go at the moment and I was looking for a nice little engine I could finish up over the winter. The casting kit and plans are from Hemmingway. I have previously built the Westbury Seal Major 30cc from their castings. Something about just following through instructions and plans and making parts to the best of your ability attracts me to these kits.
After deciding on the first part to make (Ignition bracket) It looked like a no brainer! I spent a few hours working through the best way to go about the machining. Per plans the bracket has a 29/64th hole through it which was going to be very tight with the raw casting material available.
To cut a long story short a couple of hours in the worst happened. A hairline crack between the large hole and the front of the casting. I had gone to great lengths to center everything within the available casting. I could have ordered another casting, this one did have an undercut that made it very thin in one area. Kirk is very good about this kind of thing and I am sure he would have swapped it out.
Because this bracket is designed to be adjustable and be pinch clamped to the front housing I thought it sure would be better to make it out of some good old 6061. I have lots from my machining days in the states. Luckily this component is fully dimensioned on the plans. Sweet!
A day later and it is complete. No need to worry about this one cracking one day from a little over torqueing. :rolleyes:
On to the next part......

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    234.7 KB
  • IMG_4054.jpg
    IMG_4054.jpg
    241.3 KB
  • IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    494.2 KB
  • IMG_4065.jpg