Webster Build Questions and Progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danuzzo

Reaction score
I have asked preliminary questions in other threads about my Webster build (my 1st I.C. engine). Now that I have completed the framework (see photos below), I am ready to start the cylinder. I am trying to build this engine with materials I have on hand.

I understand that the plans call for Cast Iron or 12L14 for the cylinder (I have neither in the correct size). The question of today is which is the better material to use for the cylinder, steel or stainless steel (sorry I don't' know the grade of either)? What I do know is the stainless will be much more difficult to machine. Between the 2 choices, is there a better one? Also, would the material for the piston be any different?

Attachments

• 20241007_180110.jpg
    20241007_180110.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 20241007_180138.jpg
    20241007_180138.jpg
    1.3 MB
I have not built a webster, but if the plans give you a choice, and you have either, use what you have.
If you are buying stock, 12L14 is very nice to machine, and except that it has a tendency to rust, it would be a fine choice. Cast iron is relatively easy to machine but can be very messy, if that matters. I would not choose stainless.
What is the piston made of? Iron rings or O rings? Either aluminum or cast iron should work for the piston, but what do the plans say?
Just my thoughts.
Doug

Thanks Vietti and Sprocket, but I am trying to stick with material I have on hand, and I have lots of time.

Another thought. I do have 12L14 in 1" diameter round bar that might be used as a liner for a steel cylinder, if that is a good idea?

EDIT: The 12L14 I have won't work, it is just under an inch diameter.

Last edited:
Check the link and see what you have on hand.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/not-bad-for-a-college-student.34303/post-381344

Aluminum vs aluminum: Bad - But I saw a forum member use them and the engine ran quite well, and I also made stirling engines with aluminum pistons and cylinders and they ran fine (6mm cylinder diameter)

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/lets-make-a-4-cylinder-flat.35711/

- The question for you: Do you just need an engine that runs well enough?? Or do you need it to run and the best, most durable possible??

Last edited:
- The question for you: Do you just need an engine that runs well enough?? Or do you need it to run and the best, most durable possible??
Thanks for the links. Good question. I just want it to run well, with durability not being a significant factor, but some durability is desired.

Hi @Danuzzo .
" I just want it to run well, with durability not being a significant factor, but some durability is desired."
My experience : Work with whatever steel I have on hand for the cylinder , pistons made of aluminum or cast iron , I have made cylinders with welded steel tubes and they are good enough for long time

Latest posts

Back