Upshur's opposed twin engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, im using just a plain old generic ford style coil. old school style with external ballast resister inside my portable ignition unit (old ammo can with battery, coil etc inside it. coppied said idea from Brian R) but the capacitor is a small one.
the plans for the Upshur Vertical Single calls for a .2 or .3 micafarrad rated for 300 or 400 volts. what i used was Panasonic ECW-FA2J224J .22 @ 630 volts that Roy Sholl provided and worked great for me.

post 307 in my build below of the single.
https://www.homemodelenginemachinis...attempts-upshur-vertical-single.31677/page-16

I'm doubting my ability to successfully solder ignition points onto the brass strip as per the engine plans. However-- If I move the flywheel out farther away from the side of the crankcase and switch the ignition cam to the other side of the engine, there is lots of room for my purchased Dodge ignition points. I've been a bit under the weather for a few days, so I haven't done any work in my shop.
MYgzNw.jpg

Brian, maybe i just got lucky but i just used a soldering iron like i would for general electrical work and an old roll of electronics solder. same stuff i use when fixing the wiring on my old trailer and such. it stuck great for me, hardest part was holding my hands steady while holding everything

The problem is they have to operate off the camshaft, not th crank.

No George--Not on this engine with dual cylinders. The points operate off the crankshaft no matter which side they are on. The points open every time the crank rotates thru 360 degrees. The distributor selects which cylinder the spark is going to.----Brian

So a waste spark for both cylinders?

No

Crankshaft comes round and trips the points, single spark travels through the distributor to one spark plug

Crankshaft does another 360deg and trips the points again but this time the camshaft has rotated 180deg so the other contact in the distributor now sends the single spark to the other cylinder's plug

I forgot the engine was using a distributor. Probably would be just as easy to use a waste spark and do away with the distributor all together

So, here we are with the ignition cam and the purchased point set mounted on the flywheel side of the engine. The flywheel shape will change, so that an extended outer diameter will cover the ignition points so that they won't be visible when all is assembled. Please note that the engine hasn't been "cleaned up" for any of these "in process" pictures. Before the engine is finished and running, there will be a big "clean up" before any finished pictures are shown.---Brian
Z0aFjr.jpg

So, here we are with the ignition cam and the purchased point set mounted on the flywheel side of the engine. The flywheel shape will change, so that an extended outer diameter will cover the ignition points so that they won't be visible when all is assembled. Please note that the engine hasn't been "cleaned up" for any of these "in process" pictures. Before the engine is finished and running, there will be a big "clean up" before any finished pictures are shown.---Brian
Z0aFjr.jpg
Getting closer. Can't wait to see her purrrrrrrrr.
olf20 / Bob

I forgot the engine was using a distributor. Probably would be just as easy to use a waste spark and do away with the distributor all together
You'd need a double-ended ignition coil, but those are easy to find as they're used in all kinds of small 2 cylinder engines.

One of the reasons Brian went for this engine is because he wanted to make one with a distributor. Go and read the first couple of lines of post #1

Back