Upshur engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I'm interested in building one of Dick Upshurs horizontal hit and miss engines. It is described as having a 3/4" bore x 1" stroke, with 3 1/2" diameter flywheels, and I'm pretty sure it uses o-rings for piston rings. Here is a picture of it. I am not certain which engine it is, and I don't want to order the wrong set of plans. Can someone help identify which engine this is, and where I order the plans from.---Thanks---Brian

1977_farm_engine.jpg

Brian its the red farm engine. It can be built with cast rings or o-rings. I built mine with no rings at all. My engine with the help of Dick (when he was alive) runs great. I was lucky to live in the same town as dick.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rp7UMv6QkXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src

Brian Rupnow said:
I'm interested in building one of Dick Upshurs horizontal hit and miss engines. It is described as having a 3/4" bore x 1" stroke, with 3 1/2" diameter flywheels, and I'm pretty sure it uses o-rings for piston rings. Here is a picture of it. I am not certain which engine it is, and I don't want to order the wrong set of plans. Can someone help identify which engine this is, and where I order the plans from.---Thanks---Brian

Hi Brian.

Below is a link for ordering plans.

hamiltonupshur.tripod.com/

Sorry but the link did not work, but you can copy and paste!

-MB

Brian, the plans contain information to build three variations on the Uphsur engine. You can choose which one suits your fancy. I ordered them some time ago and am going with the fins on the cylinder instead of the hopper. I have a 'sort-of' thread going on it. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=10555.0 I guess it's more of a progress thread than a documented how-I-did-it kind of log.

I'm building three engines simultaneously and the Upshur is one of them. You'll probably blow right me in no time with your build. My rate of construction is pretty darn slow.

Do you plan to document your build? I hope so. I can learn lots of things that way.

Metal Butcher...welcome back. *beer*

-Trout

Brian Rupnow said:
I've sent off an email, but no one is answering it.

Brian, I tried calling on the phone and so far no one is answering. Helen could be on vacation, etc.

I'm trying to get a set of plans myself for a possible build this upcoming fall/winter build session.

I can't wait to start machining my first engine project of the season. probably a simple one or two cylinder air/steam.

I look forward to following your build. Since the Upshur will be my fist attempt at an I.C. engine, I'll be watching your thread with keen interest in hopes of picking up some tips to build one for my collection.

-MB

Hi Brian
This writer built the Upsher f head engine some years back and was built with a govenor to make it a hit and miss. It has been a delight to operate and show, you will not be disappointed if you build any of Hamiltons designs. A friend in models. Jim Hay

003.JPG

Hi Brian
I am sorry but, I posted the wrong picture and I will try to get it right, bear with me and I will get a pic of an Upshur f head. Jim hay

If you have trouble getting hold of Mrs. Upshur, try writing Strictly IC. I think Mrs. Washburn still
sells back issues, and a number of Upshur engines were featured. [email protected]

Brian;
I purchased two sets of drawings - the drawings covering a group of farm engines and the set on the horizontal twin. I e-mailed Helen and she contacted me in a couple of days. I suspect she is just busy or away as MB suggested.

After verifying the shipping costs with her I gambled and just sent US cash in the mail rather than incur the additional cost of postal money orders etc. Worked fine. Helen actually e-mailed me when the letter arrived and confirmed shipment. Took about two weeks to arrive - bearing in mind I'm in British Columbia.

The farm engine plans are very versatile allowing engines to be built in may variations. Good luck with the build.

Garry

I have been in touch with the publisher of a magazine called "Strictly I.C." They want $8.00 each for back issues of their magazine. I looked on the website www.strictlyic.com. . The "Antique Farm Gasoline Engine" is covered in volumes 8, 9, 10, and 11. Then the "Antique Farm Engine Upgrade" is covered in volumes #77, 78, 79, amd 80. Are these completely different engines, do I need 8 issues or what?? That starts to get expensive if I need to buy 8 back issues.---Brian

Does anybody know what was changed in volumes 77, 78, 79, and 80 from what was published in volumes 8, 9. 10, and 11? I've had a look at the plans from volumes 8, 9, 10, and 11 and I see that there is no provision made for making the engine a "hit and Miss" in the original set of drawings.---And of course, thats the type of engine I'd like to build.---Brian.

Just had a quick look at #77 and the revised one is not H&M, the revisions are to valve timing, points and a simplified construction.

Jason

Thanks Jason.--Thats very strange. I've seen a lot of builds of this engine as a hit and miss type, but if there are no plans in any of the magazine issues, I wonder where people got them from?

Not sure about this. I have looked at the Upshur website several times and intend to order a set of plans from there at some point. The description says:

1. A thirty-nine sheet drawing set covering four farm type engines, two horizontal, two vertical, water cooled or air cooled with optional hit and miss governor. Bore .750, stroke 1.000, flywheels 3.5 diameter.

From that it sounds like you get the plans to build all of the versions of the farm engine including the optional H/M governor. The picture on the website clearly shows one of the engines with the H/M on it.

Latest posts

Back