Three, Three, Three Projects In One.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does a boomerang smell like anyway? :)

Time for the next update. Maybe past time. Oh wait, I'm in no hurry.

Every engine needs a piston or two and that goes for the Paddleducks too, so I made a couple. Dainty little things.

DSC05443.jpg

Pistons have to have something to go up and down in so I made the cylinder for Elmer's beam. Zee, I can predict you're gonna ask how I made it...I used the milling machine. :big:

DSC05408.jpg

Somehow a piston has to connect to the crankshaft so I made a connecting rod too, for the Upshur. That took a few evenings out in the shed, in the cold shed, that was in the rain.

First I milled the boss(s) - I guess that's what they're called. Here's the setup.

DSC05439.jpg

Here's the closeup.

DSC05437.jpg

Onward to the end that gets the wrist pin.

DSC05442.jpg

All grained and ready to test fit. Where does it go?

DSC05445.jpg

Oh, it goes here. It's a little tight between the crankshaft cheeks. I need to mill down the bosses slightly for a looser fit. Also the diameter of the wrist pin end is too large, I may have to mill it down. I'll see how it fits up inside the piston. Another time.

DSC05447.jpg

Then I made a....a....what is this?

DSC05419.jpg

Parted it off, whatever it is. Any guesses?

DSC05426.jpg

Its a..... its a......steering wheel knob. Goes on my tractor. I discovered I can use my lathe for something other than model engine parts.

DSC05430.jpg

Till next time, fellow Earthlings...

Troutsqueezer said:
What does a boomerang smell like anyway? :)

Depends where its' been before it comes back to you. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

I like your connecting rod. Nice job.

Chuck

Posting in general has been kind of slow on this forum lately so I thought I would chip in, even though there's not much to report. With the weather turning colder and rainier now, I expect shop time to pick up.

I've made several smallish parts for my Elmer's beam engine. This is a dainty little engine and the size of some parts have been a minor challenge to make. I've made more than a few wall parts lately, something I've manage to avoid till now. I haven't taken many pictures but here are a few.

I made the beam from aluminum. It was straightforward machining and presented no problems. Rather than machine a boss around the center hole which would have required me to set up my RT, I opened the hole to 1/4" and press fit a piece of brass. Easier to do and it will add to the appearance, I think.

DSC05456.jpg

DSC05460.jpg

This valve took a couple of tries to get it right. It called for turning a 1/4" brass rod down to 1/16" dia with some 1/8" dia sections in between. At first I set the rod up on the lathe using a live center on one end intending to machine the entire length in one go but when the diameter of the rod thinned out, the part would start climbing up over the cutting tool, bend, then break. I wound up inserting most of the rod into the chuck with only about 3/4" sticking out and I would turn that part to spec then pull the rod out from the chuck a little more and continue the process, eventually making my way to the full length of the valve. I did not part it off from the main rod yet, the idea being to use a collet to mill the square end.

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

Valve, piston, support rods are in place now. Crankshaft and eccentric are up next.

DSC05472.jpg

Troutsqueezer said:
Then I made a....a....what is this?

We call those "knuckle-busters". The engine is looking real nice.

Looking good Dennis, nice work.

This one's done. A couple of minor details to tweak, like the brass stand needs a notch so it can slide under the flywheel area. I think I'll steer away from building engines this small from now on. Some of the parts were so tiny I could hardly manipulate them, much less see them.

Can't have too many on the ol' shelf, right? This is number four for me.

Video coming, probably after the first of the year, I have to write the script. :)

Thanks for looking.

-Trout

DSC05490.jpg

Mr. Trout, Congratulations on your nearly complete beam engine build! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

You kept me in suspense for quite a while! stickpoke

Don't ever do that again! :rant:

Edit. Forgot to say, The engine looks great! ;D

-MB

Looks great Trout.
I'm looking forward to the video.
Gee I hope it's not another 6 weeks till then. ;D

Kudos on the engine, a beauty!

:) write the script huh? Can't wait for the video!

take care,

tom in MA

Thanks for the compliments guys.

MB, I've spent so much time following your farm engine thread that it has left me with precious little shop time! ;D

Zeep-ster, now now... you've said before that my videos were worth the wait. You know, it's not easy cutting my avatar out and gluing it on a stick. :big: ;) Sorry....couldn't help that...

It's not easy to come up with an entertaining video of a stationary model steam engine...that is, beyond the attraction of the steam engine itself. I'm currently programming my robot to do a happy feet dance, perhaps incorporate that somehow. Maybe I'll glue a certain someone's avatar pic onto the robot's head. There ya go.... ;D

-T

Beautiful work Trout and I like all your personal touches to it also. What did you use for the base? Is that Corian or something similar?

Bill

Thanks Bill. The base came from a plaque I received from work. There used to be an engraved brass plate on there that said something about thanking me for saving the company $35 million by yada yada yada. I saved them 35 mil and I got a plaque. Well, I found a good use for it anyway. ;D

This topic is so old and I am so slow at building that I got a warning before I committed to post asking if I'm sure it would be a good idea to reply to something this ancient. That tells me right there I am s-l-o-w..... :big:

Anyway, here's the updated pic on the Upshur. Got a long way to go yet. Did the fuel tank this week. Have to put in the nipple still. Carb is up next.

DSC05576.jpg

With all the queries here lately about whether or not H.F. machinery will cut it - this is all Harbor Freight stuff here. ;)

Aha! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. But I'm so slow compared to you...I'm moving backwards.

Most of my stuff is HF too. Goes to show...it's the operator that matters. Nice skills.

That's some beautiful work.

Are you saying it will be an antique before it's finished? Oh, well, it's a beauty! Nice work.

Chuck

Thanks very much guys.

Admittedly, I have been distracted by the task of restoring a tractor to like-new condition for the last 9 months, only working on this and other small machining projects in between. Also, I have the tendency to burn myself out on hobbies by doing too much too fast and letting it consume all my free time. I don't want this to be the situation with model engines because I want that hobby to last through much of my retirement years.

-Trout

Troutsqueezer said:
Thanks very much guys.

Admittedly, I have been distracted by the task of restoring a tractor to like-new condition for the last 9 months, only working on this and other small machining projects in between. Also, I have the tendency to burn myself out on hobbies by doing too much too fast and letting it consume all my free time. I don't want this to be the situation with model engines because I want that hobby to last through much of my retirement years.

-Trout

Don't hold out on us, Trout. Let's see some pictures (and video?) of the tractor!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back