Tangential tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon, looking at the drawing on the link it appears there is no side clearance/rake on the design ? Forward rake is 16deg but it shows zero side rake.
Here is a photo of one I made a while back -- I copied the design form another chap's photo of one he made. No drawings --yet !! but it has 12deg rake for both front and side. One photo is as machined and the other are hardening
A11825CB-C89F-4328-B6AC-7164B93C7EE2_1_201_a.jpeg
View attachment 088E16A1-B572-423C-88B9-7E9B48EE00A5.jpeg

OK Thanks. That is what was confusing me. I know that it needs both side and rear rake so I was wondering if the rake was generated in how the tool bit is ground. I will keep looking for another design or make my own. The $100 price plus shipping for the eccentric seems kink of steep. Also I have plenty of time to make my own.

Sort of a Request.........

I have had it in my head for years that I would like to make one of these, but the other "Round To-its" have been keeping it in the background.

I followed the late Chuck Fellow's experiments back in those days, but did not save his posts, and what he did was not exactly what I was thinking at the time.

Anyway........,

If I make an attempt at this I will post my adventures with it and I would hope ayone else making one of these or a variation of it might post some detailed information that might help us all. I am having a particularly difficult time getting my head around the orientations of the bit necessary to make the sharpening jig that would be required to grind HSS toolbits for this use.

I am using a 7x mini-lathe and have grinders and belt sanders for sharpening and protractors plus angle plates with surface plate for measuring: So, old-school tools and techniques.

Or, If someone knows of a free source for build information (hopefully with plans) I would like to know where to find it.

Thank You for listening,

--ShopShoe

OK Thanks. That is what was confusing me. I know that it needs both side and rear rake so I was wondering if the rake was generated in how the tool bit is ground. I will keep looking for another design or make my own. The $100 price plus shipping for the eccentric seems kink of steep. Also I have plenty of time to make my own.
Blondihacks has one that she demonstrates.

I made one many years ago for my 12.5 x 30 Cincinnati TrayTop lathe, and I use it all the time. Grinding the bit is simple a matter of holding it so that it presents to the grinding wheel as a diamond shape - i.e., rather than the flat sides being horizontal and vertical, the corners are aligned vertically and horizontally. Tip it about 10 degrees and grind the bit, leaving a high spot on one corner of the face, sloping back to the opposite corner. Hone lightly and it is ready to go. Note that I also prepare the bit by slightly rounding the whole corner that will be used for the high spot / leading edge.

Back