Steam Engine Governor Types

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTwin

Staff member
HMEM Supporting Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
A few steam engine governor types.

Attachments

• Image82.jpg
    Image82.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Image81.jpg
    Image81.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Image83.jpg
    Image83.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Image84.jpg
    Image84.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Image85.jpg
    Image85.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Image86.jpg
    Image86.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Image87.jpg
    Image87.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• phpx8PW0C-3340784121.jpg
    phpx8PW0C-3340784121.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7536142.jpg
    7536142.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 964268.jpg
    964268.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 0
  • tps.jpg
    tps.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• Image88.jpg
    Image88.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Image90.jpg
    Image90.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Image89.jpg
    Image89.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 0
  • Image91.jpg
    Image91.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Image92.jpg
    Image92.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Image93.jpg
    Image93.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Image94.jpg
    Image94.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Image95.jpg
    Image95.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello Pat

That's an interesting topic for me.
Thanks for the list of information. 👍
I'll have to read it carefully.

This is one of my next tasks in the restoration of the steam engine.
DSC_0018-GOVERNOR.jpg

Dieter

I seem to recall that on the Porter governor, the central vase-shaped weight spun loose on the vertical shaft, which removed the inertial component, but added a gravity component, and this design supposedly helped the governor respond much more quickly to load changes.

The point is, that on any governor that is belt driven, the failure mode of the belt breaking is 'wrong side' since the throttle opens to full power.

I think some (most ?) of the belt-driven steam engine governors were spring loaded to force the governor closed in the event that the belt broke.
A "fail-safe" design.

See 2:20 in this video for explanation.

Last edited:
The pickering governor on some steam traction engines had a ratchet mechanism that was spring loaded. A pulley on a lever arm rode on the belt. Should the belt break or come off, the weighted pulley/lever arm would drop and release the spring loaded mechanism and close the governor valve.

The springs hold the valve open. The design is not failsafe.

He clearly explains how the safety feature closes the valve should the belt break.
Seems clear to me that it is a fail safe design, ie: belt breaks = valve drops/closes
The springs can't hold the valve open, since the safety mechanism trips the valve free and allows it to drop closed.
These mechanisms are well documented; and only a slight amount of research is all that is required to understand how it is a fail-safe mechanism.

Last edited:
The point is, that on any governor that is belt driven, the failure mode of the belt breaking is 'wrong side' since the throttle opens to full power.

The correct statement is:
".....any governor without a safety mechanism that is belt driven, the failure mode of the belt breaking is 'wrong side", since the throttle opens to full power."

Belt-driven governors with a safety mechanism do not open the throttle wide when the belt breaks, but rather the valve is automatically closed by the safety mechanism.

With diesel generators, there are programs used for sizing the generator base kW based on the types of loads to be powered.

You can have high-inertial loads, such as a conveyor belt that is fully loaded with ore, or an overhead crane that is moving large pieces of steel quickly.
The program requires that there be a certain excess generator capacity, especially if large motors have to be started across the line, and/or multiple motors started simultaneously.

The old steam engines often powered equipment via line shafts, and the line shafts could introduce sufficient torional springing to prevent a governor from working correctly, especially if a flywheel was mounted on the end of the line shaft opposite the steam engine.

The idea is to prevent the governor from "hunting", ie: you don't want the governor overshooting in both directions in an oscillating fashion.

You can add dampeners to a governor system if it is over-sensitive, to prevent sudden changes in position.

But again, you need a certain amount of excess base power available, else the engine will try to play catch up with the load fluctuations, or the engine may stall.

I forgot that I got a governor with my O-S engine, since it was wrapped separately during shipping, and is still wrapped up in the corner of my office.
I will get it out and play around with it.
I would guess it has the belt-break safety mechanism on it.

Img_0107.jpg

Img_0109.jpg

RImg_0109.jpg

RImg_0107.jpg

Don't forget the Flywheel and crankshaft mounted governors

Looks like yours does not have the pully safety arm and the shaft for the adjuster is too short so nothing for it to act against anyway. So not a case of it going missing just one supplied without that feature. Speeder screw and probably the spring missing too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back