• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ritter dental drill - repaired "ready to use"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I "restored" this Ritter dental drill, there is a detailed thread on another forum, but you'd have to join up to see it so I'll just paraphrase. if you happen to be a member, the direct link is here: OWWM posting about Ritter dental drill
I want this thing out of my life, I'm way behind on projects and I'm also out of room - it is basically fixed and ready to assemble, you need a belt (they are available) and you need to wire it up. The drill is located in the USA, shipping across the pond will be expensive, I'm willing to do it but I'd not recommend it. If you pick it up from me (I'm near Los Angles), $40 for the whole thing. if I have to pack it and ship it, $75 plus whatever shipping costs. I'll part this out on eBay in a few weeks probably as "steam punk" material. note, the belt in the first photo (the blue box) was not for this machine and I put it with the correct machine and it is gone. If you get the machine, I am happy to download the thread for your perusal if you want, I'm not posting it here to preserve board storage space and because it isn't really about making a model engine.

The thread starts out this way: "this thing (a dental drill) went through the famous (or infamous) Devoe Fire, and amazingly enough it seemingly survived because it was knocked down and protected by debris on top. So I cleaned it up and posted in BYOD to a resounding yawn. After the failure with the Cutawl, I figured I needed a success, so let's get started"

20210813_112607 dental drill.jpg
The reason it didn't run was that a brush had broken off - this motor has a weird brush holder where the brush is screwed to a spring loaded arm. Falling over and getting hot, in combination (no, no film noir love scene here) was probably the root cause of breaking the brush, though maybe it had been over tightened. Being cheap and impatient I don't want to order a new brush, so I decided to repair the broken one ..... (insane? just follow along)

<several photos of shaping the brush with a razor blade>
ritter dental drill 20220523_181130.jpg
you can see the repaired brush on the right side, and the one that didn't require repair on the left bottom side.

<a few more photos>
And here it is reassembled, with the slip ring in the bottom, and it works still - so that is good. I'll need to clean up the foot pedal assembly and then test again, but I am pretty sure (due to its age) that the foot pedal is just a resistive element with a slider. The field and the armature are avaialble seprately, so if I was going to use this for some application where I cared, I could use a modern motor controller and have automatic speed regulation. I'm still not convinced I want it but now that it works it's a lot more tempting to keep...... the more modern little air drills, the 200K RPM type are lighter and much nicer but this would be good for polishing small items

<a photo>

after this post I did look at the foot slider and it is as I expected, resistive, and it works like I would expect (measuring with an ohm meter. But now I've lost interest in this and it needs a new home.

I "restored" this Ritter dental drill, there is a detailed thread on another forum, but you'd have to join up to see it so I'll just paraphrase. if you happen to be a member, the direct link is here: OWWM posting about Ritter dental drill
I want this thing out of my life, I'm way behind on projects and I'm also out of room - it is basically fixed and ready to assemble, you need a belt (they are available) and you need to wire it up. The drill is located in the USA, shipping across the pond will be expensive, I'm willing to do it but I'd not recommend it. If you pick it up from me (I'm near Los Angles), $40 for the whole thing. if I have to pack it and ship it, $75 plus whatever shipping costs. I'll part this out on eBay in a few weeks probably as "steam punk" material. note, the belt in the first photo (the blue box) was not for this machine and I put it with the correct machine and it is gone. If you get the machine, I am happy to download the thread for your perusal if you want, I'm not posting it here to preserve board storage space and because it isn't really about making a model engine.

The thread starts out this way: "this thing (a dental drill) went through the famous (or infamous) Devoe Fire, and amazingly enough it seemingly survived because it was knocked down and protected by debris on top. So I cleaned it up and posted in BYOD to a resounding yawn. After the failure with the Cutawl, I figured I needed a success, so let's get started"

View attachment 159264
The reason it didn't run was that a brush had broken off - this motor has a weird brush holder where the brush is screwed to a spring loaded arm. Falling over and getting hot, in combination (no, no film noir love scene here) was probably the root cause of breaking the brush, though maybe it had been over tightened. Being cheap and impatient I don't want to order a new brush, so I decided to repair the broken one ..... (insane? just follow along)

<several photos of shaping the brush with a razor blade>
View attachment 159271
you can see the repaired brush on the right side, and the one that didn't require repair on the left bottom side.

<a few more photos>
And here it is reassembled, with the slip ring in the bottom, and it works still - so that is good. I'll need to clean up the foot pedal assembly and then test again, but I am pretty sure (due to its age) that the foot pedal is just a resistive element with a slider. The field and the armature are avaialble seprately, so if I was going to use this for some application where I cared, I could use a modern motor controller and have automatic speed regulation. I'm still not convinced I want it but now that it works it's a lot more tempting to keep...... the more modern little air drills, the 200K RPM type are lighter and much nicer but this would be good for polishing small items

<a photo>

after this post I did look at the foot slider and it is as I expected, resistive, and it works like I would expect (measuring with an ohm meter. But now I've lost interest in this and it needs a new home.
Damn that is old: looks like what my dentist used on us 60+ years ago.

you are right ... that's exactly what it is ...
ritter dental machine station on worthpoint.jpg

The photo above is probably what you remember, the porcelain sink with water running all the time, a venturi siphon for sucking saliva, and that drill and no anesthetic - the little cup to the right of the round table to hold the mercury - silver amalgam for filling (or was it for holding polishing compound ... it HAS been a while, thank god, since we had that as the pinnacle of dental technology.

View attachment 159272

The photo above is probably what you remember, the porcelain sink with water running all the time, a venturi siphon for sucking saliva, and that drill and no anesthetic - the little cup to the right of the round table to hold the mercury - silver amalgam for filling (or was it for holding polishing compound ... it HAS been a while, thank god, since we had that as the pinnacle of dental technology.
Makes you squirm just looking at it doesn't it?
Stan

View attachment 159272

Yes, exactly. We had a true family dentist; he worked on my Father's teeth for free when he (the dentist) was in training and we continued to see him until he finally retired when I was in High School. However, it was years before he used Novocaine on us – there was an extra charge and my parents didn't see the need.

if you talk to "pre anesthetic" dentists, they will tell you that life is much easier with anesthetic.

Is this where I jump in and say something ridiculous like "buy this drill and get even"??? it's got that wonderful gizmosity that is lost with modern tools that do the same job better. I think it's probably better than a Dremel for fine work, the handset is a lot lighter and doesn't get hot, and it's quieter than the air driven units that I use now (but, having a hearing loss makes the noise less of a problem now too.... one of the benefits of age)

if you talk to "pre anesthetic" dentists, they will tell you that life is much easier with anesthetic.

Not “pre-anesthetic,” it was just optional and came at an additional cost. In the days before dental insurance, everything you could do to keep expenses down so many people decided to skip for routine small cavities (filled with a Mercury amalgam). I have only been asked if I wanted local anesthetic twice in the last 50+ years, each time for minor touch-ups on rough spots.

Latest posts

Back