Newbie from North Dakota

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper184

Reaction score
Bought my first lathe a couple of years ago, then picked up a mill about a year ago and got a shaper this spring. All South Bend products.
Have been slowly learning how to use them. Mostly from online videos and trial and error. Lots of error.... I have a large pile of scrap metal so errors are cheap.
Most projects to date have been repair or practical type things like new legs for the sofa or an adapter collar for the corn stove chimney.

A flying friend took me to a model engineering show where an exhibitor gifted me a casting for an Elmer's #33. I have been intrigued every since and am just now getting up enough confidence to probably start on it as soon as the Fall work is done.

I'll be lurking and learning until I get stuck and have to bother you with questions.

Welcome, glad to have you.
It took me a while to learn machining.
I had to learn how to grip a part, and grip it rigidly to it did not flex.
Then I had to learn patience when approaching the final part size, and take very light cuts.

I am no expert now, but I can do it and get within 1/2 a thou, which works for me.
I ruined a lot of parts in the beginning, but learned a lot here.
Some very talented folks gather here.

Pat J

Looks like a nice engine, looked up a photo of the mill engine Elmer's #33, a good
project for your South Bend

Bought my first lathe a couple of years ago, then picked up a mill about a year ago and got a shaper this spring. All South Bend products.
Have been slowly learning how to use them. Mostly from online videos and trial and error. Lots of error.... I have a large pile of scrap metal so errors are cheap.
Most projects to date have been repair or practical type things like new legs for the sofa or an adapter collar for the corn stove chimney.

A flying friend took me to a model engineering show where an exhibitor gifted me a casting for an Elmer's #33. I have been intrigued every since and am just now getting up enough confidence to probably start on it as soon as the Fall work is done.

I'll be lurking and learning until I get stuck and have to bother you with questions.
Where in ND are you?? I'm in Billings Mt, and we get to Bismarck from time to time. If you're any where's near Estevan or Rapid City, I strongly recommend you go. Those guys don't make engines and such, they're making jewelry!!! The craftmanship astounding!!
As far as learning, I figure I usually make an engine twice to get one!!! But that's the way we learn. If you can find a machinist that likes to visit, they can teach you a lot.
The Rapid City show is Sept 28 and 29. so it's coming up. Type in Blackhills Model Engineering Show and you'll find several links.
A great show!!!
The Estevan is Oct 19-20. Type in www.estevanmodelengineeringshow.net and there are links to that show. Another fine show!!!
Jon K

Latest posts

Back