Myford ML7 Gearbox

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugbyears

Reaction score
I have finally moved on from my small Drummhand Roundbed lathe which has served me well for many years. I now have a pre-loved Myford ML7 lathe that I intend to use on some smaller projects over the summer, before dismantling and upgrading over the winter. Everything appears to work as it should with very little play, although there does appear to be some minor back lash which requires attention. As the picture shows, the lathe comes with a gearbox - Ive never seen one like this before, does anyone know if this is a Myford gearbox, if not where it may originate from.

IMG_9673.jpg

I have finally moved on from my small Drummhand Roundbed lathe which has served me well for many years. I now have a pre-loved Myford ML7 lathe that I intend to use on some smaller projects over the summer, before dismantling and upgrading over the winter. Everything appears to work as it should with very little play, although there does appear to be some minor back lash which requires attention. As the picture shows, the lathe comes with a gearbox - Ive never seen one like this before, does anyone know if this is a Myford gearbox, if not where it may originate from.

View attachment 156913

There is an earlier design but I don't recall the name of the chap who designed it

Not so long ago, someone posted here an online index of Model Engineer since the beginning. The OP could search that to find the alternative designs that have appeared over the years.

The Hemingway site calls their own one a Machin design, based on an earlier Algoa design.

The lathes.co.uk site has information on OEM and third party gearboxes:

https://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page16.html

Back