Monotube Flash Boiler Design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's practically zen.

What about also getting the drill style one and reverse engineering it?

I will wait for the bright red more powerful washer to arrive, and when it does, I can asses the build quality of the pump, hook it up and see how well it performs on my boiler. If I'm really lucky, reverse engineering wont be necessary. Thinking ahead, these pumps are so small, light, and inexpensive that I could afford to put two in parallel if I need the additional flow rate.

Just curious, after seeing your air pump build, why not repeat your success and do a water pump build? If you can do such a great job on a swashplate compressor, then a swash plate, or easier/better, triplex pump should be a breeze.

A triplex with ball bearing shaft supports, an external unloader and oversized off the shelf valves - would readily lend itself to your creation.

The improved oil sump on a triplex would also lend itself to adding oil cooling/filtering down the road. Cool clean oil would make the thing last a very long time.

Off the shelf valves are cheap and oversizing them will increase longevity while increasing pump efficiency.

Cheap Axial pumps are rated in >tens< of hours. Good ones maybe might be rated to 50 hours.

A decent triplex pump is rated in the hundreds of hours and a really good one is rated in the thousands of hours.

Seeing your machining I have total faith in your ability to whip up a long lasting perfectly sized triplex and of course... ...to post build pictures!

There is very little to them. Much simpler then a swash air pump.

Just curious, after seeing your air pump build, why not repeat your success and do a water pump build? If you can do such a great job on a swashplate compressor, then a swash plate, or easier/better, triplex pump should be a breeze.

A triplex with ball bearing shaft supports, an external unloader and oversized off the shelf valves - would readily lend itself to your creation.

The improved oil sump on a triplex would also lend itself to adding oil cooling/filtering down the road. Cool clean oil would make the thing last a very long time.

Off the shelf valves are cheap and oversizing them will increase longevity while increasing pump efficiency.

Cheap Axial pumps are rated in >tens< of hours. Good ones maybe might be rated to 50 hours.

A decent triplex pump is rated in the hundreds of hours and a really good one is rated in the thousands of hours.

Seeing your machining I have total faith in your ability to whip up a long lasting perfectly sized triplex and of course... ...to post build pictures!

There is very little to them. Much simpler then a swash air pump.

I very much appreciate your faith in my machining abilities, and I did spend more than a few minutes seriously considering building my own pump,....even went so far as to check what Aluminum stock I have, and was it the right size. Even drew up a few rough pencil sketches.
In the end, my decision to buy instead of build is based mostly on the amount of work I still need to do on all the other pieces and parts that still need made and assembled.

Back