Memory Lane

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Peter (HS93) sent me this great website this morning, mainly about Liverpool and the Wirral. It brought back childhood memories that were long forgotten, especially the New Brighton bits, that was where the family went for our annual one days holiday (we were that broke, I had my feet painted black, so it looked like I was wearing socks).

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/index.html

John

John
I was wondering why you where buying black paint at the show lol
Mike

Mike,
The paint was for the dog, he was brown/white, now he is what I always wanted, black/white. I haven't washed my feet for years, so there are permanent socks now.

Ian,
Soot was no use, it washed off and gave no protection from the river Mersey and its dodgy contents when you were paddling in it.
Anyway we weren't THAT poor. We ALWAYS had a chicken for christmas, well that was what dad used to call it, they are a bit bigger now and lighter meat than from what I remember. Sometimes we used to have one at easter as well, just depended how well his racing pigeons were doing. It must have had something to do with his winnings on the bets he placed.

But the site sure brought back loads of memories.

John

Seriously though, Had to do a doubletake on HMS Tireless. A few years ago Swmbo and I went across to the Pool for an Officers cocktail party onboard Tireless, that was the confusion till I saw the date on the photo, that one wasn't a SSN.
Regards Ian.

Soot & paint for socks, this implies you had shoes! What I would of given to have shoes in those early years...

Great photo's. My daughter and I are planning a trip to England the first part of September. These pictures are how I see England in my minds eye, though I know most likely everything is different. This trip should be an eye opener!

Al,
I see you have a good sense of humour as well, if you didn't you wouldn't be able to live in the UK, with the amount of tax we pay you would be crying all the time. At $20 a gallon for fuel (and still rising) you see why you have to bring so much money with you.

It has not changed a little, it is all totally gone, except for the tourist sites. It is called progress and making money, forget about the roots.

I am sure, when you come to visit us in our little island, if you can tell us a bit of your itinerary, I am sure some of the lads can tell you the best places to see. Local interest, rather than tourist.

John

CallMeAL said:
My daughter and I are planning a trip to England the first part of September. These pictures are how I see England in my minds eye, though I know most likely everything is different. This trip should be an eye opener!

Ascot Model Engineering Show is on in September 19th to the 21st.
Just outside London, train station is just opposite the Ascot Racecourse.

John
Heck...You weren't poor... Our next door neighbor gave her son a pair of pants with the pockets cut out, so he'd have something to wear and something to play with. We were in even tougher times that year so mom just told us go over and play with the new toy neighbor kid got ...(grin)

Steve

Latest posts

Back