Lothar Matrian, St Helens Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelbuff

Reaction score
Recently I finished building a St Helens Steam Engine. The orginal engine was built in 1880 and was installed at Kirkby England. The full size engine was a compound with a high pressure cylinder of 32 inches and a low pressure cylinder of 60 inches. The stroke was 6 feet. I bought the castings and drawings from a German company called Steam of Steel.

Attachments

• 101_0024.JPG
    101_0024.JPG
    3.5 MB
  • 101_0025.JPG
    101_0025.JPG
    3.9 MB
  • 101_0027.JPG
    101_0027.JPG
    3.9 MB
Recently I finished building a St Helens Steam Engine. The orginal engine was built in 1880 and was installed at Kirkby England. The full size engine was a compound with a high pressure cylinder of 32 inches and a low pressure cylinder of 60 inches. The stroke was 6 feet. I bought the castings and drawings from a German company called Steam of Steel.
And you didn't tell us you were building it. For Shame! Could you tell us a bit more about it? It looks so intricate. Do you have any fotos of the build?

As a member of a Wigan family, I should call it "An engine from That Place".. But Rugby politics aside it is a work of art.
Well done! - it looks like a proper job! Well finished.
What is the history of the engine in "that place"? (Original makers were there perhaps?) And when in use I guess it was driving a water pump or something? - No reversing gear?
I worked around Prescot and Kirkby for 7 years but have not heard of this engine. But so close to Liverpool it could have been pumping drainage water from the flat marshlands thereabouts, or out of mine workings? - But maybe for the Liverpool water supply?
Do tell.
K2

Kit supplier gives some historic info https://www.steamofsteel.de/p/gussteilsatz-st-helens

It has turned out well, what were the castings like? I posted here a while ago that this company were now suppling his engines but would be good to know what the quality is like
The casting were very well made. The brass castings machined like 360 brass, no flaws nearly no flash. The aluminum castings also were very good. The shipping weight was 60 pounds. The price is high but well worth the purchase. The drawings provided ( in German & metric) for the most part were also well done.

Latest posts

Back