IOE (?) engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapmoz

Reaction score
Hello, I'm the new owner of this early marine model engine, maybe one of the first ever made to power a model boat .

I collect vintage model engines and I never seen one of this kind before, it comes in a "fresh" condition with a nice patina, I think a cosmetical restoration is not necessary.

Unfortunately the carburetor and the timer are gone, anybody has an idea of their shape or a pic of a similar engine???
I believe it has been made before 1920, maybe earlier, what do you think about?

One of a kind home machined or "commercial" engine?

Some infos:

-Height is 13CM without plug
-Stroke : 27MM, seems to be in the 15-20CC range.
-Crankcase and covers are brass made.
-The four cylinder nuts are 1/4 of inch (so British or US engine ?)

I will try to carefully dismantle this gem tomorrow.
All your comments and information are welcome!
Thank you, Chris

PS: the valve system looks very simple and interesting (IOE ?) a nice project for the machinists!

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful little engine, I am restoring two old Harley's one is a 1912 single the other is a 1926 V twin both are inlet over exhaust, I now that harley along with most other manufactures of the time stopped using inlet over exhaust in 1929 and started using side valve or the flathead design, your engine has the atmospheric inlet valve which most manufacturers stopped using in 1914, so I'm guessing your are correct about your manufacturing date.

Dave

Looking forward to seeing some pics of it disassembled . would make a great project to copy.
I think the land Rover 4WD were still IOE engines up until the late 1960s and they worked really well but all the valves were mechanically operated .

Hello,

I have partially disassembled the engine and I'm happy to show you the result of the strip tease.

After unscrewing the 4 nuts without problem, the cylinder comes out easily, the screw holes are perfectly centered.

The interior of the crankcase is surprisingly clean and dry without"centenary" congealed oil, the piston has 2 rings and shows some reasonable wears from use.

The crankshaft and the rod move freely, I suspect that the last user had put some "WD40" just before to go off to the Great War !
icon12.gif

The workmanship seems very correct, piston,rod and crankshaft are sturdily made.

I have often seen recent engines more difficult to disassemble and in less good shape, this one has been well cared.

The valve system is very simple , the exhaust valve is long and directly hit by the rocker and retained by the spring itself, the end of the spring is inserted in a hole of the valve rod, no clearance adjustment possible!

The inlet valve is "atmospheric", retained in closed position by a weak spring and opened by the succion of the piston.

Again, your suggestions, infos, drawings or old pics of a similar and complete engine are very welcome as is your HELP to understand the shape of the gone carb and timing assy
icon9.gif
!!!

Feel free to ask me for other photos, many thanks - Chris

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Thanks for the photos. It appears to be very well made, and appears to well thought out in design. The cam follower design is similar to what AJS used on some of its motorcycle engines. I will be interested to see more photos if you decide to break it down further

Hello Christian;

I never see this engine in my life!! It looks great.
I send you a message on youtube. Can you give me you email adress again please , because I have a 15cc - 4 stroke engine with ignition. I can not find the missing parts.
So I can mail you some pictures.

Bon journee

Barry

That sure is a nice machine!
Their PS: the valve system looks very simple and interesting (IOE ?) a nice project for the machinists! Yes, Sir, if ever you would make drawings, I would be interested.

Functionally, the above design looks to be very similar to Upshur's, Vertical- "F-Head" single-cylinder, gas engine. But I can't remember if Upshur's version was a Hit, and Miss, or, throttle controlled.

Nice engine to look at. Thanks for the photos.

Frank

The piston rings look great Christian. The whole engine looks great. But the sparkplug is almost even big like the whole engine.
Ship it too me please. He will have a great place into my collection , hahahaha.

Barry

Functionally, the above design looks to be very similar to Upshur's, Vertical- "F-Head" single-cylinder, gas engine. But I can't remember if Upshur's version was a Hit, and Miss, or, throttle controlled.

Nice engine to look at. Thanks for the photos.

Frank

Hi Frank,
many thanks for the info: you're right, it's very similar but there is a difference:
the Upshur has a side intake that doesn't exists on mine (it's the exhaust stack at the same place!) : I suspect that there was a kind of intake pipe around the atmospheric valve but I don't know how it was designed and fastened on the valve...
(first pic from http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/mb-building-upshur-farm-engines-10505/index22.html)

P1040991[1].jpg

IMG_0556.JPG

Hello,
I have unscrewed the front housing (no gasket) :I will not go further because it'useless, once again check how the crankcase and the crankshaft are "immaculate", I have not attempted to clean them...

Unfortunately, no new suggestions about the design of the timing assy, carb and carb intake, please try again guys ! I need your ideas to make this old lady running and living again!!

What do you think about the level of lubricant ( and what lubricant) if I can start her someday? Chris

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Hello some news about this engine !

I found a similar engine with F-head, a De Dion 1903 (photo 2) whose castings are made by Mr Kornmüller from classic-motors.

Then, with my good pal Google I found this very interesting draving from a modern postcard (Zazzle) showing the old cutaway of a 1898 "tricycle De Dion Bouton" (photo 1)...

...How about that? ... Chris

DeDion2kl.jpg

moteur_dhuile_de_dion_bouton_cartes_postales-r1c05259126914cee8eadc960e7fa622b_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Good news about this still unknown engine: she's now running !

The general idea was only to check if she's still able to start, not to do a work of art ...

As I'm not a machinist and have no idea about the original design of the missing carb and carb intake, I have designed a very simple "carb" assy with plumbing elements and an old Super Tigre needle from my junkbox - I hope the furious ghost of the original maker will not come to pull my toes during the next night!

A friend of mine has machined a glow plug adaptator to fit an OS "F" glow plug on the engine (original is a 18MM spark plug) and I have made and soldered the missing front water inlet (check the previous photos) and fixed some littles leaks of the water jacket.

As the valves are far from the piston head, no risk of accident because a bad timing !

So i have adjusted from my best the exhaust valve (the inlet valve is automatic) primed the engine and it has started third flick.

I have not run it for a long time for it becomes hot quickly even with a good water cooling.

It accepts to runs only very rich at the limit to be flooded at high RPM, I guess 3000-4000 RPM I think it's not reasonable for such an old F-head engine even if the glow fuel contains 30% of oil.
It stalls instantaneously if I try to close the needle.

I need your advice about my comments above and the best setting of the timing of the exhaust valve, the maximum opening is now adjusted at 90° before the TDC.

What do you think about ? Thanks, Chris.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Latest posts

Back