Internet book download

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
Most of you have probably heard about books that can be downloaded in PDF format from Google books and The Internet Archive (these are better than google books) and others. I have about 15 Gigs on two D/L dvd's and am working on a third, that's over 1000 books, old Model Engineer articles, South Bend Lathe booklets, there are quite a few of them besides the more familiar ones, and other assorted books. The machining books are quite good and many are still relevant for manual machining, the rest are mostly good for reference and historic interest. It would seem like a good idea if a "book" section could be set up so that members could look for books that have already been sorted through, by subject, that would be useful to us instead of having to search through the 100,000 plus books that are available. Most of these books, if not all, are out of copyright so that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Loose nut said:
Most of you have probably heard about books that can be downloaded in PDF format from Google books and The Internet Archive (these are better than google books) and others. I have about 15 Gigs on two D/L dvd's and am working on a third, that's over 1000 books, old Model Engineer articles, South Bend Lathe booklets, there are quite a few of them besides the more familiar ones, and other assorted books. The machining books are quite good and many are still relevant for manual machining, the rest are mostly good for reference and historic interest. It would seem like a good idea if a "book" section could be set up so that members could look for books that have already been sorted through, by subject, that would be useful to us instead of having to search through the 100,000 plus books that are available. Most of these books, if not all, are out of copyright so that wouldn't be a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
Question for you Loose Nut. Your Avitar, would it be one of the fine guns that the Canadians used to support the U.S.Army in Russia during WW1

Not that I've EVER downloaded from it, but a very good friend once told me of such a site.

If memory serves me correctly it was called ELSHAMY Library

If you click on Engineering then Mechanical Engineering the Machinery Handbook is listed there.
That is a $90 book that I know for SURE is still under copywrite protection.
It would be totally WRONG to download it for free..............

I can't understand how these types of things get loose on the internet.
How repulsive! ;)

Rick

nkalbrr said:
Question for you Loose Nut. Your Avitar, would it be one of the fine guns that the Canadians used to support the U.S.Army in Russia during WW1

I don't believe either the Americans or Canadians were in Russia in WW1, but both ended up there in 1919 to support the white army against the Reds during the Russian revolution after WW1.
My avatar is an 18 PDR. which was used in the war and probably in Russia, this is the mark 1 and by then they were probably using the mark 2's or later versions, not a lot of difference. I'm currently building a 1/6 scale model of one.
As to my idea about the books, what about having a set of dvd's that could be mailed around to members on their request (at their postage expense), it would save people many, many hours of downloading, and they could make copies for them selfs. I don't know how trying to FTP that much data would work, if someone knows how let me know, but there is an enormous amount of info here just begging to be read, The Industrial Press booklets, about 50 pages each, from the early 20th century, you may remember that one, are on one particular topic each IE. gears, turning, accurate tool work Etc., are great. Lindsy Press reprints some of these and you can get them free as downloads or from my dvd's.

The US had forces on both ends of Russia from 1917-1920. Is your 1/6 scale model all metal or wood and metal?

Mostly brass, all scatch built except for the rivets. At $3.00 a hundred (at time of purchase, some years ago) it isn't worth making them. The wheel spokes are made from polyester resin cast off of wood patterns, there is no way I could carve 24 spokes, 12 of two different types, and making a copying attactment would have been overkill.
There are some pictures in the Welcome section, 11 posts down as "Just joined" loosenut.

Loose Nut, I like the idea of sharing links and of mailing DVD's for cost of postage and/or the cost of the blank DVD's.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Rick, I tried to download from the site you posted, but got
nowhere. Did you have any luck?

miker said:
Loose Nut, I like the idea of sharing links and of mailing DVD's for cost of postage and/or the cost of the blank DVD's.

If you realy want something just PM me and I will see what I can do. ;)

SShhhhhh... hush hush.. ;) ;)

miker said:

You can down load but it is very slow unless you pay for premium access. internet archive is faster and with more materials albeit mostly pre 1900 (still relevant though!) search for "steam" for a good selection to start with.

That site is looking for your $$$

I have downloaded from it successfully.
More than once..........

That is one thing there, if you download something it will make you wait
a set time before it will allow a second download.
Unless of course you shell out your $$$.

I wish we could offer a better way, but there's one bald machinist
who is not interested in any copywrite infringement litigation.

Last time my attorney had a sit down meeting with me, he told me that I could
not afford another X-Wife. I have a feeling that would be WORSE! :eek:

Rick

miker said:

To d/l from that link, click on whichever one you want & if the file is available a Rapidshare page will come up.

Scroll down & click on 'Free' - a page will come up with a countdown timer on it- just wait- then another page will open which has some text that needs to be copied into a box on the page.

Then click the download link & you get the option to save an RAR file to your computer.

You can only d/l so much from Rapidshare for free, before you hit a waiting period- either pay them money, or just wait.

It's a bit fiddly, but well worth it- thanks for that link Rake, very interesting.

Any probs, just yell out.

We wont host copyright anything on this site but if it can be found its up to you to keep within the laws of the country you live in.

Most all of what we want will be public domain so I dont forsee any problems.

I tried DL'ing some computer stuff and I was sucessfull if a site came up called BTe.com. I tried a couple of others direct from the "Dump"but it said the "Zip" file was corrupt. Any one have an answer for this.
I'm interested in XP info.
Thanks,
Julian G.

Here's another thought.

If a list that the members that wanted copies of the Book DVD's I have, could sign up on, I would mail the dvd's to the first name on the list, then that person would copy them and mail them to the next person on the list and so on etc. The dvd's are dual layer so at least a dual layer rom drive would be required and I don't know if there is any regional problems for data dvd's. Does anyone know if it would be possible to set up a list online like this that people could access.

Julian Garrett said:
I tried DL'ing some computer stuff and I was sucessfull if a site came up called BTe.com. I tried a couple of others direct from the "Dump"but it said the "Zip" file was corrupt. Any one have an answer for this.
I'm interested in XP info.
Thanks,
Julian G.

I couldn't get anything do dl from the 'Dump' - I've only dl a couple from the mechanical engineering section.

Looks like the Dump is dead....files like this usually don't last long.

I do know where you can get XP books & all sorts, but you need a program called 'Bit Torrent' & you take the chance of the copyright police knocking on your door.

However, I happen to have a copy of 'The Windows XP Bible' & am happy to upload it to Rapidshare if anyone wants it.

Thanks Seanie, I did get a couple to dl from the BTe site. The XP for Dummies is what I was interested in but a buddy just gave me a copy.
Thanks,
Julian G.

Latest posts

Back