Frisco Standard Ignightors low tension ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propclock

Engine builder, Blown V8 to wobbler, Love it all.
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have completed the Frisco Standard model engine from shelf pet models . I have it running on spark plugs
But I can't seem to figure out the Ignightors from the plans. I have 3 other other model engines running on ignightors
But I just can't seem to figure out how the springs and rotation limiters are supposed to work. Any close up pictures of a
working full sized Frisco standard point set(ignightor) with spring trip would be greatly appreciated. HELP!

For some reason, I don't see this thread appearing in the "Latest Post" column ?
That's odd.

I ran across this video today.
It would be worth building one of these just to listen to it run.

The ignitor actuators can clearly be seen in this video.
I don't really understand the hinged end on the ignitor trip shaft, since the trip lever trips clear of the ignitor lever.

My only guess is that the lever on the end of the rod is hinged with perhaps an adjustable screw, to control the exact timing of the engine ?

We need one of our ignitor experts to chime in.

The ignitor shaft trip lever is hinged like the tool holder on a shaper; ie: when the shaper ram is moving forward, the tool bit can cut the metal, but when the ram moved backwards, the tool bit can hinge up and avoid any excessive contact with the piece being cut.

Perhaps there is one position on the timing adjustment lever that required that hinged trip lever.

Pat, just noticed it's in the forum announcements section which only show when a mod or admin starts the thread.

You or Shelton should be able to move it.

I ran across this video today.
It would be worth building one of these just to listen to it run.

Green, NICE!, did you notice the axial cam for the ignition (I presume?) in between the radial cams for the valves, that's a neat trick !!!
Pete.

Thanks those are excellent videos. The hinged trip lever is only if you accidentally rotate the engine backwards or if it backfires.
I finally managed to get 1 ignightor finished and will test it today.
The hard part to explain is the springs that hold the points open
and there is a rotation limiter on the movable point that is underneith the springs and not visable.

Thanks those are excellent videos. The hinged trip lever is only if you accidentally rotate the engine backwards or if it backfires.
I finally managed to get 1 ignightor finished and will test it today.
The hard part to explain is the springs that hold the points open
and there is a rotation limiter on the movable point that is underneith the springs and not visable.

There apparently is a lot more to the igniter than meets the eye.

update I have it running on 1 cylinder low tension only.
Another short crappy video of interest to only a few. I completed building my Frisco Standard twin model engine several weeks ago and had it running on
conventional spark plug ignition . It ran but needed some carb work. I had trouble figuring out how this miniature low tension ignightor works.
I had some help from other model engine builders and I finally had a working unit.
So I tested my ignightor cylinder and also the spark cylinder at the same time. It was running on both cylinders but it was hard to tell how well the ingnightor cylinder was working. Today I made a low tension coil change and also did some carb work and it is running on just the 1 low tension cylinder. Yea! . It is not broken in yet so the
idol cylinder is still a bit of a load. Now just 1 more ignightor to build.

also I found out when making the Red Devil you assume the moving point is grounded but I found with some oil and the small surface area it is a big advantage to add a ground lead to the moveable point. It is the silver plated wire going from the moveable point to ground. Photo below.

Attachments

• 20240521_152112[1].jpg
    20240521_152112[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
update I have it running on 1 cylinder low tension only.
Another short crappy video of interest to only a few. I completed building my Frisco Standard twin model engine several weeks ago and had it running on
conventional spark plug ignition . It ran but needed some carb work. I had trouble figuring out how this miniature low tension ignightor works.
I had some help from other model engine builders and I finally had a working unit.
So I tested my ignightor cylinder and also the spark cylinder at the same time. It was running on both cylinders but it was hard to tell how well the ingnightor cylinder was working. Today I made a low tension coil change and also did some carb work and it is running on just the 1 low tension cylinder. Yea! . It is not broken in yet so the
idol cylinder is still a bit of a load. Now just 1 more ignightor to build.

also I found out when making the Red Devil you assume the moving point is grounded but I found with some oil and the small surface area it is a big advantage to add a ground lead to the moveable point. It is the silver plated wire going from the moveable point to ground. Photo below.

Any moving part that is not grounded and in an electrical circuit will have a bad connection as it will be trying to complete the circuit through the lubricated shaft. This erodes the shaft and bearing surface and gives a high resistance which causes erratic behaviour.

A lesson learned the hard way in satellite gyroscopes.

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne.

Back