First IC engine attempt. Need recommendations.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the planning stage of trying my hand at my first IC engine, a Hoglet. I am trying to source materials and am wondering what kind and where I might find cast iron for the cylinders and heads inexpensively. Any suggestions on "alternate" sources of cast iron I might be able to use such as window weights, etc? Thanks for any suggestions.

Wonk,

IC engines are a lot of fun and the Hoglet is a dandy model. You'll enjoy the process and the result.

Perhaps you could use aluminum for the heads.

As for the cylinder a known good material, despite the cost, is my recommendation. You will have a lot of time put into these parts. Running into a problem with a piece of cast iron of unknown quality can really spoil your day.

There may be other material combinations that would work. Perhaps a steel cylinder with a cast iron liner or just run a steel cylinder and cast iron rings.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Chuck

Window sash weights in the US are known to be made from junk metal, ie: metal that is of no use for any other purpose.
I have heard of some in the UK finding decent window sash weight metal.

Why would you not recommend the Hoglet and what would you recommend for a first time try?
I should not have said that without knowing more about your skills and what equipment you have available. I am glad it wasn't my first IC engine. The cam and the knife and fork arrangement of the connecting rods come to mind as tricky. I agree with the recommendation above to use aluminum for the heads. Good luck and post pictures.

Andrew Whale from the UK has a fantastic video series (YouTube - learning turning metal) on building the hoglet that will show you what is involved
Thanks for the shout out! Personally I think the Jerry Howell Farm Boy hit n miss engine is a good IC engine to start with. It's a great design and mine just runs and runs. I have a video series on that engine as well.
Good luck with whatever you decide upon.
Cheers
Andrew

I've built several IC 4 stroke engines and Stuart steam engines .
I'm glad I started with the single cylinder type to get some valuable experience before taking on the Hoglet.
I consider the Hoglet a much more advanced project, much too daunting for someone just entering the hobby.
My 2 cents...

I am in the planning stage of trying my hand at my first IC engine, a Hoglet. I am trying to source materials and am wondering what kind and where I might find cast iron for the cylinders and heads inexpensively. Any suggestions on "alternate" sources of cast iron I might be able to use such as window weights, etc? Thanks for any suggestions.
Window weights are some of the krappiest CI in existence. I'm sure there are different qualities, however, a window weight by definition will use krap. Try "slag" it might be just as good for simple unseen weights.

Do you have scrap yards near by? For some things, scrap is wonderful, for some, you probably shuldn't take chances. I get lots of great scrap from yards near me.

Yet to finish a two cylinder seagull i started fifty years ago. I have made the cylinder liners, rings and valve guides.
They were made from extruded or centrifugal iron ?
I have often wondered if old clutch and brake master cylinders and drum brake slave cylinders may be a good source iron?
Ron
Australia

I think old master cylinders would be a good source of quality gray iron.

I use electrical motor end bells, and they are a good and consistent source of quality gray iron.

I was told that gray iron scrap had to be cleaned of paint, dirt, grease, rust, etc., but this turned out to be not true.
The impurities come out of the melt in the form of slag, and it is easy to skim this off the melt prior to pouring.
There is no need to clean iron before you melt it.

RImg_1087.jpg
RImg_1088.jpg
RImg_1089.jpg
RImg_1097.jpg
rImg_1894.jpg
rImg_1895.jpg

Imagfe49.jpg

Yet to finish a two cylinder seagull i started fifty years ago. I have made the cylinder liners, rings and valve guides.
I have often wondered if old clutch and brake master cylinders and drum brake slave cylinders may be a good source iron?
Ron
Australia
I heard that they are good. I also heard of someone makeing cylinders directly from the brake cylinders.

I wonder about hydrawlic cylinders? I can usually get lots of them at scrap yard

Ron
Australia
I thot I had the record for how long it takes to build an engine. I have a Rays/Coles-Corliss I started in 1975

Wonk

I am in process of making the hoglet engine, I have used aluminium for the heads rather than the cast iron and then made steel inserts for the valves (see photos) I think the ally heads give a good contrast, my two pence worth.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back