Diesel glow heater plug - homemade !!?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of making a Diesel Glow Heater Plug
I am planning to make it small (size as in the picture -red) and use 6volt
Your opinion ??
ZZZ.jpg

Your opinion ??
View attachment 159776

Suggest you consider using more than 6V - - - heaters work on energy and at 6V to get say 120W you will need 20A of current.
That's a LOT of current in a small item (you wiring will have to be quite large to handle the current).
Even at 12 V you're still talking about 10A and that's still needs some likely 12 ga wire (don't know what that is in mm2 - - - sorry) and that wire
will be almost as big a dia as I think your plug is.

(Did some looking to see if I could find amperage draw but nothing and that was looking at US and a couple different European manufacturers.)

HTH

Suggest you consider using more than 6V - - - heaters work on energy and at 6V to get say 120W you will need 20A of current.
That's a LOT of current in a small item (you wiring will have to be quite large to handle the current).
Even at 12 V you're still talking about 10A and that's still needs some likely 12 ga wire (don't know what that is in mm2 - - - sorry) and that wire
will be almost as big a dia as I think your plug is.

(Did some looking to see if I could find amperage draw but nothing and that was looking at US and a couple different European manufacturers.)

HTH
Thank you !
I'm aiming for 40, 50 or 60 w, the trade-off is slower heat up

I presume there's agood reason why you couldn't use a conventional RC engine glow plug?
conventional RC engine glow plug: it's too short, and with the small cylinder head I don't have room for it

103728-ENGINE-4.jpg

Your opinion ??
View attachment 159776
Main query would be, why do you think you need one ?
Model diesel engines will not run on conventional diesel fuel anyhow.
If methanol fuel, standard glow plug from rc could be used.
I'm certain there is a way to get around it's short length if needed.
Commercial model engines have always found a way.

Somewhere in my travels I came across an article where someone harvested glow wire from RC plugs & used an AliExpress battery spot welder to join it to his (specialized) housing. I cant recall if it was for a combustion engine, or rocket motor or... Apparently the wire is difficult to source, at least in reasonable quantity. And whatever his application was, RC plug wire was the only material that could withstand the environment.

1726706373220.png

Main query would be, why do you think you need one ?
Model diesel engines will not run on conventional diesel fuel anyhow.
If methanol fuel, standard glow plug from rc could be used.
I'm certain there is a way to get around it's short length if needed.
Commercial model engines have always found a way.
I have done 1 cylinder and 4 cylinder diesel engines and they both run on diesel
With the 1 cylinder it is relatively easy to run on diesel - 20mm bore 40mm stroke
With the 4 cylinder it is a bit harder to start - 20mm bore 36mm stroke, it needs a bit of heat - maybe because I changed the piston stroke to be shorter and it has more aluminium - not sure
Diesel glow heater plug : it is as an extra option

I have done 1 cylinder and 4 cylinder diesel engines and they both run on diesel
With the 1 cylinder it is relatively easy to run on diesel - 20mm bore 40mm stroke
With the 4 cylinder it is a bit harder to start - 20mm bore 36mm stroke, it needs a bit of heat - maybe because I changed the piston stroke to be shorter and it has more aluminium - not sure
Diesel glow heater plug : it is as an extra option
Have any video on that?

Somewhere in my travels I came across an article where someone harvested glow wire from RC plugs & used an AliExpress battery spot welder to join it to his (specialized) housing. I cant recall if it was for a combustion engine, or rocket motor or... Apparently the wire is difficult to source, at least in reasonable quantity. And whatever his application was, RC plug wire was the only material that could withstand the environment.

View attachment 159810
As far as I am aware it is standard nichrome wire.
I have rolls of the stuff here left over from the days of repairing ice machines.

Latest posts

Back