Ball bearing center

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this ball bearing center which got too close the the tool bit. I would like to regrind the point but I cannot figure out how to get it apart. There is no hole through from the back and the front seal or shield does not appear to be easily removed. Some centers appear to have a front shield with spanner wrench pin holes but this is just flat. The option is to put it in the headstock and find some way to keep the point from turning while it is being ground. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    1.5 MB
You don't take it apart. You need a proper fixture to preload the bearing and mount it by the morse taper and then regrind it.
Send it out and have it reground.

OK I will try to regrind it in the headstock and if that does not work I will just buy a new one. I should be able to cobble up something to keep it from rotating.

Hi Gordon
2 Hose clamps a a piece of sheet metal bent to go underneath both clamps should hold it from turning.
Before doing that I would hold it in a 4 jaw and dial it in to make sure the body and point run concentric, then clamp the 2 together.

Just an idea.

Scott

Latest posts

Back