Altenate Methods To Offsetting The Tailstock For Taper Turning

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rog02

I hate to offset a tailstock once I get it dialed. I found an old article on how to use a small 4 jaw mounted in the tailstock to move a center wherever it is needed without disturbing the tailstock offset. It works well, but now that I have the Craftsman lathe up and running the 4 jaw went back on it. I will probably build one of the offset center tools for each of the lathes now.

I just put a couple of old articles in the DOWNLOADS section.

An old boring head purchased cheap on eBay and modified for the purpose is the usual answer to this problem.

Here is the super-deluxe model from Royal:

RoyalTaperAtt1.jpg

Always thought that gizmo was cool, but I've yet to ever see one for sale. Still, you could build one like it as this fellow did:

taperso001.jpg

taperso002.jpg

taperso003.jpg

Here is the original article: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?p=244606&posted=1

Cheers,

BW

If you could put one in the tailstock and one in the head stock spindle to machine a crank shaft. This would seem a lot better than drilling center holes of set? You would have to make a dog to drive it.

Bob:

Thanks for that link!

Since I haven't got any 0 MT centers for my little Craftsman, that is tops on the list for production. I have read the "Ball Center" threads but the post from one of the responders about using an automotive pushrod for his ball centers gave me an idea of how I can turn my tapers on the Craftsman without having any 60* centers. ::)

Just want to be able to say I used the machine to make the parts for the machine. ;D

Rog, being the lazy cuss I am I thought I'd mention CDCO and others will sell you the 0 MT shank to be used as you see fit for $5:

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

I've bought 2's and 3's from them to mount keyless chucks and found them to be excellent.

I think you can use the excuse, "How could I make a taper before I had built my taper attachment?"

The rest I leave to your ingenuity!

Cheers,

BW

As soon as I got my boring head, I looked at it and said, "That's not only a boring head but also 98% of an offsetable tailstock center."

Made an MT3 arbor threaded the same as the boring head and never looked back.

I have this model milling machine: http://www.china-dy.com/eproduct5.htm, actually a combined lathe/mil. I have built a separate stand for the mill, buying a compound table too so I don't need to change between lathe toolpost and a total constantly.

I am in the process searching for milling tools, Mostly from ebay. Currently on my list of already purchased:
cheap HSS endmill set
cheap HSS ballnose set
indexable 12mm carbide insert endmil
40mm indexable face mill
collet chuck/collet set
dial & dial test indicator
sine vice

Still on my list to purchase
- parallels set
- milling vice for everyday use
- height gauge
- granite surface plate

A couple of questions about additional tools, I want to get a metric dovetail mill: roughly which size under 16mm would anyone recommend, and 45degree or 60deg?

What size corner rounding/fillet mill Would you recommend?
http://www.mr-tools.co.uk/catalogue/43.php not quite sure I understand how to work out the radius of these, perhaps 12mm dia. & 6mm give you a 6mm radius. I generally like 5mm fillets to round off outside edges, in my designs

supposedly my machine recommends maximum endmill/slotting size of 12mm.. Should I not go above that with harder metals, I think 16mm would be the largest size for deeper cut I would want to use.

any other tools I may find helpful... counterbores/sink etc. not sure if I need to use coolant, I was just going to use a cheap garden sprayer with coolant.

Ryan

Very Newby here, plaese help don,t know how to search "downloads" for info adapting 4 jaw to tail stock for taper turning.
Thanks Golfpin

Latest posts

Back