Air cooled red wing from PM Research

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my Christmas present to myself..... actually finished it in a little over 2 months of evenings and weekends. This lit the fire under my rear to actually finish all the started projects:
Martin 1895 Mery explosive( 1/4 done, bought 28 years ago)
Hodgeson 9 cylinder radial (half way done, started over 10 years ago)
Stuart marine compound(half done, started around 10 years ago)
Emmett Lenaz Otto-Lamgen atmospheric engine(little over 1/3 done, started 15-20 years ago)
Little Engine Alco series 4-6-4 hudson(well over half done, 15 feet long...3000 pounds. Started in 2010)
Various other nonsense that just needs detail work done...
And of course the blown black widow V8..... but that needs much print and drawing work.

Pamela

Attachments

• 20240607_201927.jpg
    20240607_201927.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240607_201935.jpg
    20240607_201935.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Very nice, Pamela! Did you make the spark coil from scratch or reassemble a purchased one into a new box?
I bought from a place out of Lamar Iowa that restores hit miss and maytags..... took it out of their lil box and made one to hold battery, switch, charging port... and made connecting chassis and trip wires easier..... works nice, its a flyback from a TV with a pack of welding rod for the magnet core.

I bought from a place out of Lamar Iowa that restores hit miss and maytags..... took it out of their lil box and made one to hold battery, switch, charging port... and made connecting chassis and trip wires easier..... works nice, its a flyback from a TV with a pack of welding rod for the magnet core.
Could you provide a link (or contact info) for the place in Lamar? Among other interests, I like to dabble with HV. Thanks!

Thanks! More costly than I expected, but maybe I can just buy the innards. However, I bought a K-W Model-T Coil 5 years ago for $100, now they're $200, so maybe not that far out of line. Some of their bits & pieces (like point sets) are higher than elsewhere, but I don't know how much of a break they are getting wholesale vs. retail.

Thanks! More costly than I expected, but maybe I can just buy the innards. However, I bought a K-W Model-T Coil 5 years ago for $100, now they're $200, so maybe not that far out of line. Some of their bits & pieces (like point sets) are higher than elsewhere, but I don't know how much of a break they are getting wholesale vs. retail.
Pm research wants 250.00 for their buzz coil.

You can do them quite cheaply, I just bought the KW points for around £20.00 GBP and used an ATV coil to do the business inside the box, the metal bar through the middle becomes magnitised.

IMAG1000_zpsqzfrps0b.jpg

buzz circuit.jpg

Since my "use" of spark coils is for demonstration purposes, I think I'll stick with my modified Model-T Coil (from Eckler's) and a larger, Induction Coil (from Sci-Supply):

Spark Coils rfs.jpg

The Induction Coil can produce up to 50KV @ 10VDC, whereas the Model-T Coil is more like 20KV @ 12VDC. I added binding posts to the terminals on the Model-T Coil, and picked up the cute Point-Adjusting Hammer when I was buying spares.

As noted above, the Model-T Coil has gone from $100 to $200 since 2019; curiously, the Induction Coil is still $165 (although shown as out-of-stock). Here is the Model-T Coil in action (6VDC; 3/32" Tungsten Electrodes):

And the Induction Coil (a little fiddly on just 6VDC):

I've accumulated a lot of info on both the Model-T Coils and HV in general; PM me if you're interested.

Charlie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back