2 cyl marine steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bab160

Reaction score
hey hmem people:)

I am looking for drawings to 1 or 2 cyl mostly the 2 cyl in line steam boat engine used for live steam boats, like the stuart or chedder engine any one now where to get only drawings for scrap building please let me now:)

regards bab :)

Google BOGSTANDARD then ignore the stuff about toilets & find the john 'Bogstandard' site. A 2 cyl marine engine with complete build details & plans made from offcuts. A super little engine.
cheers,
Leonard

Here are some planes for a small Marine Engine that supposedly can be built in a week end, I've been working on mine for 2 weeks already.
If you can figure out how to make the upper cylinder covers I would love to know as this has stumped me so far.
Regards
dgehricke

View attachment MarineEngine copy.pdf

dgehricke, the cylinder cover is made of two piece. Each one is turned to the outside dimension then a flat is made on one side so they fit together. Because they are not very thick they can be hard to hold and finish both the top and bottom. One way to do it is to turn the bottom or piston side first. When that is completed part it off leaving enough material to finish the top. Then use Supper Glue to attach the finished bottom side to a larger piece of material that you can hold in a four jaw chuck. Now center it in the chuck and then turn the top of the cover. When finished a little heat will break the glue joint. All that left is to make the flats so both pieces fit snug on the cylinder body.

hey hmem people:)

I am looking for drawings to 1 or 2 cyl mostly the 2 cyl in line steam boat engine used for live steam boats, like the stuart or chedder engine any one now where to get only drawings for scrap building please let me now:)

regards bab :)

Have you looked at Elmer's no52 engine? It is a vertical twin wobbler and I think it is double acting so there should a bit of power there too. The plans are available from the usual source for free, I think.

Regards,

A.G

hi
yes i didt take a look at the wobler but if the build is going good i will maybe but in a steam boat so i think i am going for the BOGSTANDART :) but many thanks for all the replys.;)
can any of you tell me if am running live steam can i still use an o ring as a piston ring. ?

hi
yes i didt take a look at the wobler but if the build is going good i will maybe but in a steam boat so i think i am going for the BOGSTANDART :) but many thanks for all the replys.;)
can any of you tell me if am running live steam can i still use an o ring as a piston ring. ?

Hi,

If it is a Viton O ring then you are safe to about 250 C , some use ptfe and others, cast iron.

Regards,

A.G

If it is a Viton O ring then you are safe to about 250 C , some use ptfe and others, cast iron.

I like Viton quad-rings for light steam service at 100-125 psi, well below the 250C above. I use them in brakes and pumps, not in the main drive system. I prefer the quad rings, you don't have to build in slop to let them roll and they seem happy with very light compression, something like .003 squish vs round ring .006 squish. I do tend to round rings in gland seals.

Latest posts

Back