1902 Meriam Abbott

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocket

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time coming, but yesterday I finally finished my 1902 Meriam Abbott model. This is another Doug Kelley design and was published in "Home Shop Machinist" Nov/Dec 2022 and Jan/Feb 2023. The engine was finished early in this year, but what I think of as "peripherals" have taken some time. Fuel system, cooling, mounting, etc. Part of the problem is I really like riveted steel bases, but never remember what a pain in the butt they can be. My wife has promised to remind me of that next time I get the urge to make one.

IMG_3729.jpegIMG_3785.jpeg
IMG_3790.jpeg IMG_3793.jpeg

This might be the 1903 model as I embellished a bit on some parts.
I have some video that I will post once I get it on You Tube. Seems it's too big to fit here.
If anyone is interested, I would do an "as built" thread, there are lots of pictures, and a few things I did differently from the plans.
Thanks for looking.
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_3816.mov
    24 MB
Last edited:
Hello
Nice running engine ! Could you be please so kind and show us whole biult thread ?
Im definitely interested !

That is nice.

It was worth the wait, both for us and I'm sure for you.

It runs so smoothly that I thought the video was a still picture with sound effects when I first opened the video. Definitely well done.

And I also think the rivetted base worth the trouble it took to make.

-ShopShoe

Last edited:
Doug,

Congratulations! Your Merriam-Abbott looks great and runs just as nice. I like the rivets.

I'm definitely interested in your "as built" thread. My Merriam-Abbott runs, but I don't have the cooling system built yet.

Regards,

Chuck

Thank you all for the kind words.
I will make a build/built/ thread. I found all the pictures I downloaded last night are HEIC and this software doesn't like them.
My tech support person (daughter Cait) came by and showed me how to convert the HEIC to JPG. It will take a little time to fix them all, but we got enough done to start. I'll open another thread for that.

Chuck;
The carburetor was made from plans by Chuck Fellows as redrawn by Andy Wakefield "Awake".
The two screws are for mixture and throttle. The screw opposite the fuel line is mixture, the one on the side is throttle.
Throttle really just limits airflow by intruding into the intake air stream. Changing the throttle does affect the mixture, but I think once it's worked out, I won't have to change it much.
I like to put a bug catcher on the carb, just think it needs one.
Some pictures below
ihttps://www.homemodelenginemachinis...ou-been-doing-today.34299/page-34#post-400714

Thanks for looking
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
It's been a long time coming, but yesterday I finally finished my 1902 Meriam Abbott model. This is another Doug Kelley design and was published in "Home Shop Machinist" Nov/Dec 2022 and Jan/Feb 2023. The engine was finished early in this year, but what I think of as "peripherals" have taken some time. Fuel system, cooling, mounting, etc. Part of the problem is I really like riveted steel bases, but never remember what a pain in the butt they can be. My wife has promised to remind me of that next time I get the urge to make one.

View attachment 159219View attachment 159220
View attachment 159221 View attachment 159222

This might be the 1903 model as I embellished a bit on some parts.
I have some video that I will post once I get it on You Tube. Seems it's too big to fit here.
If anyone is interested, I would do an "as built" thread, there are lots of pictures, and a few things I did differently from the plans.
Thanks for looking.
Doug
I am lost for words, your workmanship is remarkable.

Latest posts

Back