1/4 scale Anzani Fan Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is exactly why I used it for to replace my camera tripod parts that kept breaking. Looks like those parts came out great, silicon bronze seems to flow really well into sand molds.

I was thinking of making a three cylinder like you are making and I have seen a Anzani three cylinder in a local aircraft museum. It has the cylinder center line offset with the crankshaft center line. Why is that?
I really cannot answer that question as the plans I am working from have the cylinders inline with the crankshaft centre line.
Maybe it is a derivative as many variants were produced. Perhaps Ken or others could advise?
Cheers
Rich

This is just a quick update on the Anzani project.
I decided not to do a true build log as it was getting too tedious to keep a log on things and work on the engine has been a bit sporadic.
Making the con-rods from silicon bronze was probably not the best idea as it is not the easiest material to machine being quite tough and gummy.
Rather than following Ken's crankshaft construction, i.e brazed and pinned, I went for a complete press fit assembly as per most 2-stroke
motorcycles.
Truing the assembly was a new art to me!
The cylinders were fabricated from mild steel and silver soldered at the flange. A little more lapping is needed and one more piston to be machined.
The cylinder head castings need to be finish machined before heat shrinking onto the cylinders.

Attachments

• Anzani-update.jpg
    Anzani-update.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I made the mistake of using boat shaft bronze for bearings one time, and while the material looked like bearing bronze, it was not, and it had a very high stiction coefficient. I had to throw those bearings away and start over again.

"Know thy metals" as they say in the casting business.

Its looking very good; thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back