Bob Shores Hercules

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navydave

Reaction score
Hello,

I have begun construction of this engine. I have machined the block and oil pan and bolted them together with gasket. Soon, I will drill and bore for the front and rear bearing holders (sleeves). In doing do, I will have effectively cut the gasket in half. The bearing holders will be a tight fit, but sans gasket. Is this proper, or am I missing something? Any advise will be appreciated! I'm a retired jig and fixture builder, working at home with Sherline machines. They seem to be a good fit for fabricating this little unit. Thanks again.

David

I built Bob's Silver bullet a few years ago, when machining the bearing holes for the crank and cam I did not have a gasket in place

1715297116983.png

Thanks! I wonder if you added gaskets on final assembly, as it would have to be in two pieces. Also, it seems after adding the gaskets the bearing hole would no longer be round. (These are the two issues i am concerned with and puzzled by.) Thanks for including the photo! You certainly made some impressive looking components!

Thanks! I wonder if you added gaskets on final assembly, as it would have to be in two pieces. Also, it seems after adding the gaskets the bearing hole would no longer be round. (These are the two issues i am concerned with and puzzled by.) Thanks for including the photo! You certainly made some impressive looking components!
Upon further review, I wonder if a gasket is not used in that location. If anyone knows otherwise, please give a heads up. Thanks again! NavyDave

When I built my Silver Bullet, I built it with no pan gasket. No problem with leaks. The only gasket in my Bullet is the head gasket.

Good luck. You'll enjoy the Hercules.

Regards,

Chuck

When I built my Silver Bullet, I built it with no pan gasket. No problem with leaks. The only gasket in my Bullet is the head gasket.

Good luck. You'll enjoy the Hercules.

Regards,

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck. I realize now the same is apparently the case with Hercules as well. Whew.

Thanks, Chuck. I realize now the same is apparently the case with Hercules as well. Whew.
You've got it. No pan gasket on my Hercules, only the teflon head gasket. I might still have some teflon sheet and I'd be happy to mail some to you, I'm right across the pond in MI.

Latest posts

Back