Another Knucklehead, built via castings, as a Draw-Tech design, upscaled

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foketry

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing the construction done by Mayhugh, I also decided to build this interesting engine in a slightly larger scale.
The pistons of my engine will be 36 mm instead of 1.063 inch (27mm) and everything else will consequently be increased by the same proportion.
I have followed and studied all of Terry's posts, whose technique and precision I admire and I hope to obtain a well-functioning engine like his.
I also asked Terry for some 3D drawings and he kindly provided me with some ,I started from these drawings
After the 18-cylinder Isotta Fraschini, I returned to simpler engines, just 2 cylinders, even if Terry writes that it is not that simple

To make aluminum castings the first step is the 3D drawing of the finished part, then I eliminate all the holes and machining, add the allowance in the milled or turned areas, add an increase that takes into account the aluminum shrinkage .

Finished right crankcase

Carter destro.jpg

drawing for casting mold

Carter destro fusione.jpg

3D printed mold with parting powder

IMG_5685.jpg

I generally paint the mold to obtain smoother surfaces but in this one I didn't paint

the sandblasted casting

IMG_5183.jpg

The crankshaft

My Knucklehead engine is larger than the Draw Tech project, the diameter of my piston is 36mm compared to 27 mm, 1.33 larger , so everything will be larger than the photos of the components that you have already seen in other constructions. The total displacement of the engine will be 90 cc, therefore all the components that you have already seen in other construction photos will be larger.

Albero motore e bielle.jpg

I built the flywheels separate from the shaft that carries the bearings, I thus avoided turning many kg of steel and generating mountains of shavings

volano dx.jpg
volano1 dx.jpg
volano2 dx.jpg

I turned on the lathe and drilled the 2 flywheels together, then separated them with the band saw, to obtain the central hole and the hole for the connecting rod pin perfectly equal and aligned.

IMG_5411.jpg

I made the tapered holes for the rod pin with a Morse 1 tapered reamer

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

the 2 flywheel shafts have an allowance of 0.5 mm, when they are assembled with the flywhee , connecting rods and the pin , I will do a final turning to ensure alignment and concentricity .
The assembly was done with a press.

CNC turning of the connecting rod pin

IMG_5416.jpg

the defective pins, 5 before getting the correct one

IMG_5748.jpg

oil quenching of the connecting rod pin
IMG_5730.jpg

Before you assemble you might consider a needle bearing on the con rod, I did it on my Hoglet and it seems pretty good. Also I drilled and reamed a hole at 180 degrees from the con rod hole to insert a dowel when aligning the flywheels, seemed useful.

Before you assemble you might consider a needle bearing on the con rod, I did it on my Hoglet and it seems pretty good. Also I drilled and reamed a hole at 180 degrees from the con rod hole to insert a dowel when aligning the flywheels, seemed useful.
For the connecting rods I provided bronze bushings, mechanically the needle bearing are better, they have less friction, but the bushings are simpler and more robust.

The assembled crankshaft, with an external alignment cylinder during the finishing turning of the shafts .

first step, right side
IMG_5735.jpg

second step , left side

IMG_5734.jpg

Final check of the coaxiality of the 2 shafts, without bearings and with bearings
Max error detected 0.03 mm

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

Back