rookie needs to know how to cut a 30 degree slot

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am very much a rookie and need advice on making the 30 degree slot in this slide whistle http://neme-s.org/images/PDF_Files/Slide_Whistle.pdf.

i was wondering if maybe grind a bit for my fly cutter or possibly use an end mill with my angle vise some how. couldnt find my slitting saws the other night and really dont want to be filing a whole lot if i can help it.

and as a second question, would you mill that slot before drilling the tube and reaming it, or after? as in possibly turn the outside diameter then cut the 30 degree noth first then do the drilling?

i also may have a couple of 60 degree tipped endmills but will have to dig around some of the box's of used bits i purchased from ebay just to start building up some tooling for my mill/lathe. if i were to make 2 cuts with that could i come up with that 30 degree angle with it?

once i get home and lay hands on my tools it may come to me, but been trying to lay this one out in my head and looks simple but just cant figure that one out.

thanks

We made a batch of those whistles one year at Cabin Fever. Prazzi loaned us a lathe and mill and I brought my Sherline mill with a rotary table and engraved the show name and date on some of the whistles. It was a project for NEMES to do at the show, and we handed out a bunch of them to the kids. It was a fun demo and lots of people probably saw metal cutting for the first time.

To cut that angle slot one of the guys, Larry, made a cutter like a typical dovetail cutter, except upside down. We stuck the whistle body in a vise with the notch end up and made a pass by it with the special cutter. I still had tha tcutter last time I looked, Ill dig around and see if I can find it and post a photo.

Im not sure how you would make it without that kind of a cutter, I guess grinding a fly cutter is the only likely way.

I would cut the whistle notch last.the drilling and reaming would wreck the notch if done early. For cutting the notch I'd use a small EM, like 4 flute 3/16, insert a piece of AL, to fill the bore, or be ready for some scrap. block the work with a 30° angle block, then finish by hand the the 90° cut and match to the 30° notch.

and as a second question, would you mill that slot before drilling the tube and reaming it,

I'd file the notch after drilling the hole.

Nick

When you make the wedge cut it at an angle to let the air blow across the knotch. The whisle will work better.

I'd file the notch after drilling the hole.

Nick
That's how I've always done it.
I made a few whiles once so I took two wood blocks and screwed them together. I then bored a hole down the middle of them the same size as the tube. I then cut the notch in the wood to use as a file guide. After I was happy with the wood file guide I removed the screws and separated them. When using it just put the tube to be notched in the blocks and clamp in the vice. File the tubing to match the guide .

That's how I've always done it.
I made a few whiles once so I took two wood blocks and screwed them together. I then bored a hole down the middle of them the same size as the tube. I then cut the notch in the wood to use as a file guide. After I was happy with the wood file guide I removed the screws and separated them. When using it just put the tube to be notched in the blocks and clamp in the vice. File the tubing to match the guide .

I endmilled slot and filed to profile. Was my first mini whistle.See whistle. My 'Boss" is not happy as it was sharp and shrill.

IMG_0440.jpg

Hi ,

Do the 30 degree slot as the op. If this is a one off you could even file it. If you have a milling machine then you can tilt the part to the correct angle and then mill it or tilt the coloumn of milling machine to the correct angle and do the job.

Regards,

A.G

Back