Jerry howell "bill" engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourstroke

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my version of the "bill" engine
It runs ok as you can see from the video link but its not without issues, if its turned off and left for a while it refuses to start at the settings it was running at so I guess I need to do a bit more fiddling
I tried to upload some photos but the files are too big
Any comments or advice will be appreciated
Dougie
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=_Vre_MfX6zI

Your Bill runs pretty well actually. I was puzzled by the apparent change in engine speed I detected. I use the timing lever to regulate engine speed as Jerry recommended. Using the carb throttle will not work on gaseous fuel. I run my Bill on propane using a Weber gas grill regulator and Jerry’s demand regulator. I built it with the “priming” button on the diaphragm which I think is very necessary for cold starting any gaseous fuel model engine. All three of my propane fueled engines will start at the normal carb run settings provided I tap the priming button a few times to purge the fuel line before cranking, and sometimes a couple more quick taps just after starting. Initially, I found the Bill a very touchy engine to get running, but once you get to know it a little better you won’t have a problem.

What type of crankcase vent are you using? It looks different than Jerry’s. Are you getting any oil exiting the vent. The crankcase doesn’t hold much oil so any loss is a concern. I only use about 3cc of oil. It still weeps a little, but good for about 2 hours running.
Jeff

Hi Jeff

The variation in engine speed is not intentional and after some fiddling it runs at a pretty constant speed but it has been cold here lately and I think that may be having an effect on the gas., I fount that with the engine running at a steady pace just putting my hand on the gas can would make the engine stop

I changed the vent to a simpler design, mine is just a 5/32" ball in an oversized hole kept in position by a split pin and works fine. The only time I had any oil coming out was on the first trials as I had no way of measuring the reccommended oil amount so it got 3 squirts fom my oil can which turned out to be too much
After I drained it I filled it correctly and now its fine

Regards

Dougie

Back