Is there a program to make a 3D model with measurements that is free?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruben

Reaction score
Hello, I want to know if there is a program to create a 3D model with measurements

I want to make the fuel pump for the LISTER model and I don't know how to make 3D models of the pump

I use Blender for some projects
and with Blender you can do it

I need help

thank you

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2024-07-11 a las 17.53.07.png
    Captura de pantalla 2024-07-11 a las 17.53.07.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Captura de pantalla 2024-07-11 a las 17.53.07.png
    Captura de pantalla 2024-07-11 a las 17.53.07.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I needed to make .STL files for printing. I tried 3D CAD and found learning difficult and time consuming. I found Tinkercad much easier to learn.
ok

Autodesk's 123D Design was a predecessor of Fusion 360. It's similar to TinkerCAD, it's free, it's still available for download if you search for "123D Download", it DOES NOT require a subscription or a web connection, and they don't turn it off on you if you don't use it for a few months.

Do something like that with Fusion and they'll turn off your activation - DAMHIK.

Ondsel is based on FreeCAD, but with a workflow that's much closer to the commercial mechanical CAD software.

Both Ondsel and FreeCAD have assembly environments which most free CAD modellers do not.

...Ved.

I've been waiting on FreeCAD (and by extension Ondsel) to release V1.0 with the big fix that has been missing (topological naming convention). Once that is out and in the mainstream I'll start investing time and energy in learning it and weaning myself off Fusion. From the looks of things I'll be learning it this fall - fingers crossed.

Thank you for all this
I test all of software

ruben:

Designspark3D might work for you. It's a dumbed down version of the Spaceclaim 3D software, and it also has a "Free" version. About a year ago they also went subscription. Like Fusion, even the "Free" versions of both of them are still a subscription - you just don't get charged to use them. They, like Fusion, have a lot of the good stuff disabled in the "Free" hobbyist versions. And if you are like me, I sometimes go for a month or more where I don't use 3D CAD then I may use it daily for weeks - they will disable your subscription if you don't check in often enough. It gets to be a LOT of fun trying to get that re-enabled, especially if you forgot your stinking password. I still haven't got my Fusion activation re-enabled - I eventually just gave up on it.

FreeCAD is installed locally on your machine, is open-source and as such is effectively a "perpetual" license. It doesn't need to phone home and check if your activation is still active. FreeCAD has a REALLY steep learning curve, at least for me it did/does. It is a VERY powerful software, but man-o-man do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it.

I believe that Onshape is a web-based software, so it needs an active Internet connection to run. I also believe that ALL files are stored on the "Cloud" and are shared in Onshape, so don't even think about using it you want to retain the Intellectual Property to your files.

ruben:

Designspark3D might work for you. It's a dumbed down version of the Spaceclaim 3D software, and it also has a "Free" version. About a year ago they also went subscription. Like Fusion, even the "Free" versions of both of them are still a subscription - you just don't get charged to use them. They, like Fusion, have a lot of the good stuff disabled in the "Free" hobbyist versions. And if you are like me, I sometimes go for a month or more where I don't use 3D CAD then I may use it daily for weeks - they will disable your subscription if you don't check in often enough. It gets to be a LOT of fun trying to get that re-enabled, especially if you forgot your stinking password. I still haven't got my Fusion activation re-enabled - I eventually just gave up on it.

FreeCAD is installed locally on your machine, is open-source and as such is effectively a "perpetual" license. It doesn't need to phone home and check if your activation is still active. FreeCAD has a REALLY steep learning curve, at least for me it did/does. It is a VERY powerful software, but man-o-man do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to use it.

I believe that Onshape is a web-based software, so it needs an active Internet connection to run. I also believe that ALL files are stored on the "Cloud" and are shared in Onshape, so don't even think about using it you want to retain the Intellectual Property to your files.
If I'm the same as you, then I'm going to look at that software. This part always happens to me

I sometimes go for a month or more where I don't use 3D CAD then I may use it daily for weeks - they will disable your subscription if you don't check in often enough. It gets to be a LOT of fun trying to get that re-enabled, especially if you forgot your stinking password.

I started out with FreeCAD and got used to it, but ran into the issue with topological naming being broken, particularly when making something fairly complex. I then shifted to OpenSCAD and do most of my modeling there, and import the model into FreeCAD to generate the mechanical drawings. It's a bit cumbersome, but works. You can probably import the models from many different 3D CAD programs into FreeCAD to generate the drawings.

I started out with FreeCAD and got used to it, but ran into the issue with topological naming being broken, particularly when making something fairly complex. I then shifted to OpenSCAD and do most of my modeling there, and import the model into FreeCAD to generate the mechanical drawings. It's a bit cumbersome, but works. You can probably import the models from many different 3D CAD programs into FreeCAD to generate the drawings.
I prefer to use OpenSCAD for some projects ... but it is a vastly different approach than most or all of the alternatives being discussed above! Things that lend themselves to regular features work well, and a lot of what I work up as 3d models fit into this category - holders / organizers for tooling, for example, with a rectangular body and a series of holes, perhaps of different sizes, spaced as needed. I have an OpenSCAD program set up to make these to whatever size and configuration needed with a quick modification of a few parameters. For someone like myself, with a background in software development, it all makes perfect sense.

But I would not attempt to use OpenSCAD for something like designing and modeling an engine. I rely on FreeCAD, and have for many years. Yes, the topo naming problem was an early frustration, but I learned how to develop my models in ways that rarely run afoul of the problem. That said, I am looking forward to version 1.0 "sometime soon," which as I understand it will resolve the problem at last.

I prefer to use OpenSCAD for some projects ... but it is a vastly different approach than most or all of the alternatives being discussed above! Things that lend themselves to regular features work well, and a lot of what I work up as 3d models fit into this category - holders / organizers for tooling, for example, with a rectangular body and a series of holes, perhaps of different sizes, spaced as needed. I have an OpenSCAD program set up to make these to whatever size and configuration needed with a quick modification of a few parameters. For someone like myself, with a background in software development, it all makes perfect sense.

I think it's easiest to think of a CAD program as a way to create a description of a 3D object mathematically and then the cad software kernel creates the object in "cyberspace" for further manipulation. Such further uses of the object might include extracting 2 dimensional drawings for shop use, performing FEM analysis to analyze strength or assembling a project by combining multiple 3D objects. OpenSCAD uses a script to create the object description whereas Freecad and other modelers use a GUI with modeling tools. Within Freecad there are even multiple ways to describe the object (workbenches) which tends to confuse new users.

While I've never built a OpenSCAD model from scratch, I've used it enough to be able to modify the scripts to 3D print storage containers for the shop. Here's two I've used quite a bit:

https://www.printables.com/model/90273-tap-set-box-customizable

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104654

But I would not attempt to use OpenSCAD for something like designing and modeling an engine. I rely on FreeCAD, and have for many years. Yes, the topo naming problem was an early frustration, but I learned how to develop my models in ways that rarely run afoul of the problem. That said, I am looking forward to version 1.0 "sometime soon," which as I understand it will resolve the problem at last.

Weekly binaries of the "1.0" Freecad development are available here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bundle/releases/tag/weekly-builds

This branch is in feature freeze right now and it wouldn't hurt to try out a weekly for non-important work as quite a few things have changed. You might even help squash a bug or two.

Freecad has never had a central maintainer like Torvalds for the Linux kernel and the past development could be described as the chaotic work produced by a hundred feral cats. This is how you end up for four different assembly workbenches. The Ondsel guys have been trying to gently provide direction to the project by paying programmers for needed work that no one would do and donating it back, but just this managed to piss-off several long time contributors who left and lots of drama in the Freecad forum. If you like what you see, it wouldn't hurt to provide a little bit of positive feedback.

Back