HSS Bits from Proxxon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gurus,

Are you familiar with HSS Bits as per attached foto.
V/S conventional US/UK profiled HSS bits how they perform.Better cutting and good chip breaking?
Tried grinding this but got bad results. Maybe I did not get it right.

IMG_1239.jpg

Hi Gus

I have that set of lathe tools that I got from Chronos. The Form - 1 bit is my preferred cutting tool. I liked it so much that I bought another one.

Vince

Hi Gus

I have that set of lathe tools that I got from Chronos. The Form - 1 bit is my preferred cutting tool. I liked it so much that I bought another one.

Vince

Thanks for the feedback.

May buy one complete set and carbon copy. Very expensive from Proxxon.

Here is a close-up of the tool. I think it would be difficult to grind that shape.

Vince

DSCF0586.JPG

just grind to look like the pictures
save the money
Tin

Here is a close-up of the tool. I think it would be difficult to grind that shape.

Vince

A lot of metal needs to be removed for that shape.

It's about the chip-breaking action, isn't it?

Jordan

Hi,

I bought the same set from Chronos about 18 months ago, the Form 1 is quite good for general purpose cutting of steel and aluminium, but my tangential tool holder and 8% cobalt bit is superior.

A.G

Gus, Might I remind you that I downloaded you some 130+ sheets on grinding. What happened, please?

As for the regrinding, there is lots on this download. However, I would make up a simple jig to utilise a 6" DE grinder but change the wheels to perhaps 60 and 80 or 100 grit white Aloxite. Fine, you can go on a home- after that.
I use a diamond wheel on one of my tool and cutter grinders-- because at my age- I am dead lazy.

Hi Big Bro.

Must have missed it. Please advised which forum. Gus is getting to be too young and absent-minded. Ha ha.

Lil' Bro Gus going 70 this August and not getting any wiser.

Gus

Hi Gus,

I think that you should be able to grind the fluted chip breaker section with a Dremel and a small cylinderical grinding wheel ( the long one ). I am sure that I have seen these some whree on the Ebay. Just grind the sides first and then run the tool along the side increasing the depth as you go on, you may have to build a simple jig to make the final result look professional.

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

I bought the same set from Chronos about 18 months ago, the Form 1 is quite good for general purpose cutting of steel and aluminium, but my tangential tool holder and 8% cobalt bit is superior.

A.G

Hi AG

Thanks for the tips. Plannning to buy a Dremel. Now justifying a need and not a want.Just ex-Corporate Citizen's habit. "It must save/make money and contribute tot he bottom line." Lately bought many endmills and soon some will require regrind. Not too long ago saw a post using Dremel. For now may
try toughing up endmills with diamond file. Please advise.

Hi Gus,

I think it might be prudent for now to slow the rate machine tool purchas down a bit. You being in Malysia, must have access to some fine tooling at very reasonable cost compared to what we pay for in the UK.
I noticed that you had the milling course book from Harold Hall, in there he has a very nice design for a tool sharpening table with full accurate control of the angles. Having seen the fine job you made of the boring head and the QCTP you should have no difficuly building the tool sharpening table and the jig for the end mills. Using a diamond wheel and his set up it would be very easy to sharpen the end mills, lathe tools, etc very quickly and accurately.

I have a Chinese made copy of the Dremel that was very cheap to buy with lots of tooling at a fraction of the price of the Dremel ( now made in China of course ), if you intend to buy a Dremel type tool then it might be worth having a look at these copies.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Gus,

I think it might be prudent for now to slow the rate machine tool purchas down a bit. You being in Malysia, must have access to some fine tooling at very reasonable cost compared to what we pay for in the UK.
I noticed that you had the milling course book from Harold Hall, in there he has a very nice design for a tool sharpening table with full accurate control of the angles. Having seen the fine job you made of the boring head and the QCTP you should have no difficuly building the tool sharpening table and the jig for the end mills. Using a diamond wheel and his set up it would be very easy to sharpen the end mills, lathe tools, etc very quickly and accurately.

I have a Chinese made copy of the Dremel that was very cheap to buy with lots of tooling at a fraction of the price of the Dremel ( now made in China of course ), if you intend to buy a Dremel type tool then it might be worth having a look at these copies.

Regards,

A.G

Hi AG
Found "Richontools" offering very competitive prices on HSS/Solid Carbide endmills. Will source on same vendor.They ship from HongKong within three days.Place order 7th Jan and arrived by EMS on my door step 10 am 9th Jan.

Makita makes Maktec in China.Believe they have slight bigger than Dremel.
Bought a Maktec Trimmer for S$80 about US$64. Will look at Dremel copies too.

Back