Compound indexing for 127 Using a BS-0

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Has any one else use compound indexing for making gear like the 127 tooth gear or 157 tooth gear using a BS-0.
I just working some drawing and have not seen any one even taking about compound indexing, hard to find any data today.

Dave

I assume you mean differential indexing - using the gear train to drive the indexing plate.

I last did that over 40 years ago - I could probably bend my mind around it again if I needed to but WTH that what the internet is for.

Here's a link to a handbook *.pdf with tables.

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Bemato_dividing_head_manual.pdf

I Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ken

I had to cut a 107 tooth gear which the plates on my dividing head didn't cover so I used my rotary table as it has a vernier degrees scale. The scale is in degrees - minutes - seconds so I had to convert the list of decimal degrees to DMS - not an easy process.
I found it useful to cross each angle off as it was cut so I didn't lose track of where I was at.
It was laborious, but doable.
Regards,
Alan

Yes it use two index circles making
here is part of a chart it when up to 250
Had the dividing head sold it back in the 70's

Dave
[FONT=F2_CIDFont]
[/FONT]
127 and 157 are prime numbers and can not be indexed with a compound indexing.

2015-01-19_05h19_41.jpg

Lets pick a number like the 61 for example...
If I read the table correctly it tells to turn the handle 3 turns plus 42/47th of a turn
then add 2/49th of a turn by indexing on the second plate.

Total = 3.95484151107251 turns
Repeating this rotation 61 times should produce a full rotation of the rotary table plate

61 x 3.93443334780721 = 240.000434........ turns of the handle

Dividing such number by the ring gear number of teeth should give a integer number of plate rotation.

Assuming the ring gear has an integer number of teeth, 60 for example then the 61 division would be accomplished in 4 turns minus 0.000434 turns of the handle.

The missing 0.000434 turns represent less than 1/9000th of the spacing between 61 divisions, very acceptable for cutting gears.

The error is on the order of 10^-4 unlikely to result from spreadsheet 16 digits precision rounding.

In conclusion although compound indexing can approximate prime number division it does not allow arithmetically exact solutions.

Last edited:
My simple solution would likely be to draw a 127 bolt circle in CAD, print it, glue it on a piece of MDF, drill it, and use it to index.

That's only because the compound thing is too far over my head. Of course if you have a 9x20 lathe, there is a 127 tooth gear available already for indexing.
Rich

Its been a while since I looked at this trying to figure out my Vertex dividing head. I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that inputs the gear ratio & plates (hole layout) & it spits out matching indexing solutions if one is available. I recall testing it against the tables & seemed to be functioning correct.

I punched in 127 & 157 into my particular setup & got 'no solutions found' probably for the reasons outlined. But I'm not sure if different makes of dividing heads have different plates or gear reductions so that other gear/angle permutations are possible? I suspect mine is an offshore clone of something.. but of what?

1-23-2015 0001.jpg

Pete,
from what I can gather from your spreadsheet it is applicable to a plain dividing head/rotary table.
No Compound ( two plates used at the same time).
No Differential (Plate is not fixed but rotate with gear ratio from the handle)

No type of dividing head can divide by a prime number unless it has a plate with the same number of holes.
Compound and Differential can achieve practical approximation much closer that a plain one.

I made a spreadsheet exactly like yours in different format.
On all my spreadsheet I have the same convention of using red characters for User Entered Data.

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment tornitore45. 'compound' & 'differential' are not yet in my vocabulary. But I'm intrigued now. Thanks for the heads up.

No type of dividing head can divide by a prime number unless it has a plate with the same number of holes.
Same rules apply for differential gearing - but most gearsets have a 127T (for imperial / metric conversion).

Regards,
Ken

You are looking at simple indexing on a 49 * 40=1960 spaces or 0.1836 Deg. or 11 Min. .
The compound indexing uses two of the holes in plate
most of the division use 49x47x40= number of spaces is 92,120 or .0039 Deg. or 14 Sec. Using other set of holes give you other spacing .
FYI on most CNC dividing head give a Accurate of ± 20 Sec per division

Dave

Its been a while since I looked at this trying to figure out my Vertex dividing head. I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that inputs the gear ratio & plates (hole layout) & it spits out matching indexing solutions if one is available. I recall testing it against the tables & seemed to be functioning correct.

I punched in 127 & 157 into my particular setup & got 'no solutions found' probably for the reasons outlined. But I'm not sure if different makes of dividing heads have different plates or gear reductions so that other gear/angle permutations are possible? I suspect mine is an offshore clone of something.. but of what?

FYI to any one looking for compound indexing on your BS-0
I am working on drawings for setting a standard BS-0 to do compound indexing

Thm:

Dave

Latest posts

Back