Clear acrylic tubing for oilers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I just made a few enquiries and found a company in Toronto that sells clear acrylic tubing, 1/2" o.d. x 3/8" i.d. for $10 plus tax for a 6 foot length. I want to make up some fancy oilers for the Kerzel---Will clear acrylic stand up to lubricating oil okay or will it craze or turn yelow? I do not get along well with glass tubing---I break it, it cuts me.---Brian

I have use the barrel from a ball point pen turned to shape and finished with micro-mesh, not discoloured in 4 years and easily obtainable and free.

07-7.jpg

J

Thats all well and good if you have a clear barelled ballpoint pen to start with. I don't. What the heck is micro mesh???

I just found a place in Markham that sells clear acrylic tube in any diameter up to 1" with 1/16" wall thickness for $3.00 per 36" length, and they ship. Kidders Klocks 905-731-6944. I ordered a length of 1/2" o.d. and of 5/8" o.d. For that price I can take a chance on how it reacts to oil.

Its a very fine abrasive, originally designed to get scratches out of aircraft windows & canopies, works well as you can see there are no machining marks.

Jason

Wow!!! That was quick!!! My clear acrylic showed up here today. Two 18" lengths of 5/8" o.d. x 1/16" wall and two 18" lengths of 1/2" o.d. x 1/16" wall. All for under $20 and that includes the shipping.
acrylictubing001.jpg

Brian Rupnow said:
Wow!!! That was quick!!! My clear acrylic showed up here today. Two 18" lengths of 5/8" o.d. x 1/16" wall and two 18" lengths of 1/2" o.d. x 1/16" wall. All for under $20 and that includes the shipping.
acrylictubing001.jpg
I will be building two or 3 oilers based on this product and will let you know how it reacts to Loctite and to oil.

I have had some bad experienece with locktite and plastic in the past. It causes the plastic to develop cracks and crumble apart after a while; not right away. I notice that locktite now has a formulation specifically for plastic. BTW where'd you get the tubing? That seems like a good value.

Ed T said:
I have had some bad experienece with locktite and plastic in the past. It causes the plastic to develop cracks and crumble apart after a while; not right away. I notice that locktite now has a formulation specifically for plastic. BTW where'd you get the tubing? That seems like a good value.
Read reply #3 in this thread.

Yes regular loctite can cause havoc with some plastic. My friend changed his motorcycle front mudguard three times because it kept breaking around the mounting holes, until it was discovered that he had loctited the bolts after they came loose one time. Since fitting without loctite he has had no more problems with embrittling.

It seems some component in regular Loctite does degrade plastics over time.
If you want to glue acrylic,get some glue specifically for acrylic.Many other glues either don't stick,or will craze or melt the stuff.Cyano(superglue)clouds clear acrylic.

Latest posts

Back