A new valve for my Henry Ford Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I've been plagued by a leaky inlet valve stem on my Henry Ford engine since the day I finished it. You'd think making a tighter fitting valve would be the obvious answer, but somehow that's eluded me. If only I didn't have to have a pesky valve stem sticking out through a hole.

So, I replaced the poppet valve and spring with a ball bearing and a neodymium magnet. The ball bearing is seated on the inside and the magnet holds the bearing on the seat, obviating the need for a spring. He's a rough drawing and a couple of photos as well as a video showing the engine running happily with the ball bearing inlet valve. It's idling a little rough because I hadn't adjusted the fuel mixture since it warmed up. But it actually does run a lot better now.

21d48d40.jpg

4e1e93d0.jpg

f83ea7d3.png

And the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMaWG2BK7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMaWG2BK7Q[/ame]

Chuck

Chuck, you sir are a genius. What a elegantly simple solution to your persistent problem. Man I do love the sound of that engine. BRAVO!

BC1
Jim

What an excellent idea! I have always disliked playing with different springs for a one way valve that has to open at low pressure or vacuum.

I love this place.

Lee

HI just a ? is the engine made up from castings or did you billed from scratch

krv3000 said:
HI just a ? is the engine made up from castings or did you billed from scratch

The engine is made from scratch. Here is a thread to the original build.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6352.0

The outer cylinder support is made from a 3/4" cast iron plumbing tee, a 3/4" nipple, and a floor flange. It has a cylinder liner turned from cast iron round rod. The carrier for the crankshaft and camshaft is made from two pieces of 1/4" angle iron welded together. The rest of the engine is made from bits and pieces of bar stock. The flywheel is a cast iron casting.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Did you come up with the magnet/ball valve idea....damn clever bit a sideways thinking ...

Dave

Chuck,

Great fix.

I like the idea of a 'fairly' modern innovation helping to solve an 'old' style problem.

If Henry had that technology available in his time, imagine what the outcome would be by the time it got to the present day. I don't think i/c engines would look and work in the same sort of way.

Bogs

bearcar1 said:
Chuck, you sir are a genius. What a elegantly simple solution to your persistent problem. Man I do love the sound of that engine. BRAVO!

BC1
Jim

Thanks, Jim. Don't know about genius, but I guess I do have my moments.

LeeScrounger said:
What an excellent idea! I have always disliked playing with different springs for a one way valve that has to open at low pressure or vacuum.

I love this place.

Lee

Thanks, Lee. I think it would be nice to be able to adjust the distance between the magnet and the ball, but haven't got that far yet.

steamer said:
Hey Chuck,

Did you come up with the magnet/ball valve idea....damn clever bit a sideways thinking ...

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I don't claim to be the first to have thought of it or tried it, but, yeah, I did come up with it on my own.

Bogstandard said:
Chuck,

Great fix.

I like the idea of a 'fairly' modern innovation helping to solve an 'old' style problem.

If Henry had that technology available in his time, imagine what the outcome would be by the time it got to the present day. I don't think i/c engines would look and work in the same sort of way.

Bogs

Thanks, Bogs. I agree with you on the modern solutions to old problems, particularly if it can be done somewhat unobtrusively.

Chuck

Bogstandard said:
If Henry had that technology available in his time...

Ditto. I'm betting Henry wished he had a few of those magnets laying around back then--and the idea to use the.

HI thanks for the link its brill a good bit of tin bashing I may have a crak at it bob

Back